Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If you were buying a hollow or semi-hollow P90-equipped guitar....

hamerhead

Question

I concur, BUT the co-guitarist in the band had one and it would not stay in tune for anything. It is now for sale. 

The one that I did like was the ES LP Specials that came out a while back Flat Top and they rocked. 

What? A so-equipped HAMER Artist, Duo-Tone or Monaco III will not suffice?

Or, think outside the box and get an import that uses ONE P90 in a "Krautster-like" way......

Fibenare Basic Jazz Rahan.jpg

Seventy Seven Albatross Jazz.  Dirt cheap and MIJ Devisor quality.  I own an Exrubato (335 model) and a redwood topped Albatross Jazz and they're both incredible.  I've not seen an Exrubato with P90s, but I would imagine one could be special ordered.  They're also dirt cheap.

byvptvo5z3iq3cl9nbdp.jpg

If you prefer a singlecut, they also make the Stork Jazz

12-315481512_l.jpg

If you're on a budget, and/or want to mod to your heart's delight with your own choice of parts, there's always this:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/modern-player-telecaster-thinline-deluxe/0241202539.html

Otherwise, there's always Gibson's P-90 (or is it P-100?) -equipped version of their ES-135 as mentioned by texwest, though I don't think that version is still in production...you might be able to find a used one that someone has already installed P-90s in it:

Newport P90 works well for me.  Not as "woody" sounding as an ES, but still breaks up well when digging into it.  But, hard to find.  You can go with a "regular" Newport and get the bucker sized P90s as stated above, but you lose the center block and wraptail bridge.

Barring that, i'd go with the Gibson ES135, but i would play as many as possible to try to find a good one.  I've played some that make me smile, and others that sound like a box with strings on it.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:20 AM, hamerhead said:

.......what would you get and why?

• Why?  What sound are you looking for grasshopper?  That sound is between your ears Tim.  Lord knows there's plenty of space up there for all kinds of new and exciting sounds.😄
  • Newport or Monaco - consistant quality, hardware, wood, finish.  For all the reasons we own too many Hamers (by ATF regulation) and why this discussion board still exists.
  • Gibson ES-125 (the George Thorogood guitar) well if you absolutely do not want to go with a Hamer.  If this Gibby is good enough for Thorogood, its good enough for me.
  • Epiphone Sheraton (the John Lee Hooker guitar although i've seen pictures of him with an LP, and plenty of different Gibson hollow bodies)
  • Gibson Byrdland (the Irrepressible Ted Gonzo Nugent guitar)
  • GIBSONBYRDLAND_01.jpgted-nugent1.jpg
  • Gibson ES-335 (the Alvin Lee - Ten Years After guitarist.  Seems like every blues player ever has been photographed with a Gibson ES-335 slung over his shoulder or the Epi Sheraton.
  • Personally I don't think you can beat a Hamer Newport or Monaco.
  • pickups? - Pick whatever you want & load 'em up 

Cheers🍻🚀💥

caddie

Nobody can kill Hamer, even the mighty Fender Musical Instrument Company could neither drive a 3 piece mahogany neck thru the Hamer USA headstock nor a quarter sawed brazilion rosewood fretboard WITH frets installed up its f-hole.  So bring it on guitar fools, ya better get a bigger gun we're not dead yet!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwSaJgAuaQFkbiPrQ3yR7

I don't know...don't ask questions like that...I came across it I thought I'd share it.  How does a dude get a cameltoe?  Some things you just can't un-see 

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

4DB0D26F-C997-4349-8C58-40A82F28C49B.jpeg

Other than prrrrrfect what is that?   hubba hubba bubs.

caddie🍻

On 7/5/2018 at 10:27 AM, BubbaVO said:

Hamer Newport or Artist.   And then get Josh to do his thing and wind up a set of HB sized p90s that would kill.

Winner winner chicken dinner right here 

Don't overlook the Godin Core CT P90,  or Godin Summit Classic P90.  No longer produced, but extremely well made chambered P90 guitars.  And North American made - Canadian.  You can find them under $1K every day.  See this review of the Core CT P90:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/godin-core-ct-p90-628325

9 hours ago, bondedbybrick said:

Don't overlook the Godin Core CT P90,  or Godin Summit Classic P90.  No longer produced, but extremely well made chambered P90 guitars.  And North American made - Canadian.  You can find them under $1K every day.  See this review of the Core CT P90:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/godin-core-ct-p90-628325

I second the Godin, damn are they good guitars. 

Well Noonan, I'm really open to anything and threw this out there to get some opinions. I'm rarely go to music stores to try out gear (there's always something else that needs to be done), so I ask my most trusted adversaries...I mean, advisors....what they think.

Great answers so far - some I hadn't considered. The ES-135, with its Les Paul-type layout, is the frontrunner at this point. And any of the Hamers. And the Midtown. And the.....

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Well Noonan, I'm really open to anything and threw this out there to get some opinions. I'm rarely go to music stores to try out gear (there's always something else that needs to be done), so I ask my most trusted adversaries...I mean, advisors....what they think.

Great answers so far - some I hadn't considered. The ES-135, with its Les Paul-type layout, is the frontrunner at this point. And any of the Hamers. And the Midtown. And the.....

Only adversary you have is yourself. 

Archived