Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If you were buying a hollow or semi-hollow P90-equipped guitar....

hamerhead

Question

There is literally NO WAY I would buy a Gibson over a Seventy-Seven, however i disagree with the "dirt-cheap" assessment. However if you want to go cheap, you should be able to find an Ibanez ASR-70 for 350 ish, and they are a steal at that price (full hollow 335 shape w/ P-90s)

I have one of these...:

http://23.21.158.208/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Memphis/ES-275-P-90-VOS.aspx

I added a pair of pick-up shims because the pick-ups were factory-set a bit low, sounds much better now, beautiful guitar!

Not dirt cheap! :rolleyes:

On 7/3/2018 at 5:38 PM, cynic said:

Seventy Seven Albatross Jazz.  Dirt cheap and MIJ Devisor quality.  I own an Exrubato (335 model) and a redwood topped Albatross Jazz and they're both incredible.  I've not seen an Exrubato with P90s, but I would imagine one could be special ordered.  They're also dirt cheap.

byvptvo5z3iq3cl9nbdp.jpg

If you prefer a singlecut, they also make the Stork Jazz

12-315481512_l.jpg

Dirt cheap??!! I did a quick internet search and found these (amongst many more similarly priced offers):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seventy-Seven-Guitars-EXRUBATO-JAZZ-NA-Natural-2015-3735/163239006494?hash=item2601cd911e:g:kn4AAOSwbF1bjpdx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seventy-Seven-Guitars-ALBATROSS-STD-S-TVY-With-Hard-Case/183401353309?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170105155410%26meid%3D6063e16189fb4ae2b238b25064bfb4a8%26pid%3D100705%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D183401353309&_trksid=p2045573.c100705.m4780

http://www.theguitarden.co.uk/seventy-seven

I don't know where you buy your dirt but it sure must have golden nuggets in there! :P

On 7/3/2018 at 4:20 PM, hamerhead said:

.......what would you get (1) and why (2) ?

(1): Hamer Monaco III

(2): Best Hamer EVER! :-) Covers a lot of territory. Can snarl like an old JR through a cranked Marshall - very much a rock machine if needed. BUT, can sound jazzy and smoky through a clean amp - or bluesy if you want. Can sound like a killer strat on the neck pickup, and has nice quacky tones on the 2nd an 4th knob position. Superior Hamer build quality. Looks that kills, will catch attention. Unique. 

23 minutes ago, Disturber said:

(1): Hamer Monaco III

(2): Best Hamer EVER! 🙂 Covers a lot of territory. Can snarl like an old JR through a cranked Marshall - very much a rock machine if needed. BUT, can sound jazzy and smoky through a clean amp - or bluesy if you want. Can sound like a killer strat on the neck pickup, and has nice quacky tones on the 2nd an 4th knob position. Superior Hamer build quality. Looks that kills, will catch attention. Unique. 

I second that. Not too hard on the eyes either.......IMG_08871_zps077f743b.jpg

Reverend PA for hollow, Rev Tricky Gomez for semi.  Best bang for the buck gits at the moment.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:15 AM, tbonesullivan said:

Godin has some nice offerings in their 5th avenue line that have P90s. They might be more hollow than you are looking for though.

True...  However, as I mentioned in a previous post, the Core and Summit lines are chambered, not hollow, and are quality-built North American guitars.  I have a Core Ct and it covers all genres thanks to individual Vol/Tone controls for the Seymour Duncan P90's. I love the simplicity of a P90 and wraptail.......

IMG_7408.jpg

On 7/5/2018 at 6:38 PM, Caddie said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwSaJgAuaQFkbiPrQ3yR7

How does a dude get a cameltoe?  

It takes balls.

A lot of good suggestions in this thread. Having played Pesocaster's custom PesoPro, a spruce top Monaco III would be a good choice. For something simple and quick, I'd consider a Newport 90 with wraptail.

wholebody.jpg

Actually, there is nothing like a Newport. However, some poeple need to take some side steps before landing on them. B)

I picked up an Artist P90 mahogany, with -10% Fralins, because that guitar was relatively cheap.  It became my #1 guitar, until I gave it to my son. 

@rugby1970 was gracious enough to sell me his beautiful Artisit Korina P90, as a replacement, and I installed -5% Fralins.  The Artist Korina 90 is now my #1, although I wish I had put -10% in it.

IMG_8637.JPG

On 7/16/2018 at 12:36 PM, jim777 said:

However if you want to go cheap, you should be able to find an Ibanez ASR-70 for 350 ish, and they are a steal at that price (full hollow 335 shape w/ P-90s)

This.  I've heard one in action over the course of several shows in the hands of a guy who knew exactly what he was doing and it punched waaay above its price point.  Extra thick top to keep the feedback down.

The Ibanez are interesting but the neck shape is a concern. Most of the ones I've tried (not those in particular) are thin/wide and don't suit me very well.

A Newport 90 would really be ideal, but somewhat like hen's teeth.

Still kicking around different ideas. The right one hasn't popped up .........yet.

The Ibby is a lot like their other AS models, if you can get your hand on one of those. If anything, I would say the neck on my '92 Sunburst is smaller (thinner from E to E) than the neck on my '81 AS-200, though not by a lot. It doesn't have a Wizard profile if that's your concern.

EDIT: I would also guess this is a superb instrument but it's a lot more than the Ibby:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seventy-Seven-Guitars-ALBATROSS-F-H-White-Silver-Made-in-Japan-With-Hard-Case-/183496929302?oid=183401353309

Archived