Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Detecting Headstock Break???? How to know

17 hours ago, JimiH said:

....an unseen broken headstock makes no difference to the value.......

A patently false statement. A broken and repaired headstock cuts the value by half, regardless of how well it's done. The seller of an 'unseen broken headstock' (read: undisclosed) is a certified douche and deserves a baseball bat to the kneecaps.

3 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

A patently false statement. A broken and repaired headstock cuts the value by half, regardless of how well it's done. The seller of an 'unseen broken headstock' (read: undisclosed) is a certified douche and deserves a baseball bat to the kneecaps from the buyer.

Some "unseen" cracked ribs would be appropriate. 

If I had to choose I would choose the one that I liked the most. Headstock repair means nothing to me. Especially one you can’t see and hadn’t been verified as actually having a break. When it came time to flip it I would tell the buyer what I was told, 

5 minutes ago, JimiH said:

If I had to choose I would choose the one that I liked the most. Headstock repair means nothing to me. Especially one you can’t see and hadn’t been verified as actually having a break. When it came time to flip it I would tell the buyer what I was told, 

This is absurd.

5 minutes ago, JimiH said:

😀

guy says to me hey that guitar you want may have a broken headstock, you can’t see it and it plays fine. If I want it I’ll buy it if I thought the price was right? Why wouldn’t I?

I never said, "Don't buy it," but don't tell me that it makes no difference to the value. It has everything to do with the value.
You don't buy a guitar at "unbroken head stock value" if it has a repaired head stock. I don't care how well it plays.

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

A patently false statement. A broken and repaired headstock cuts the value by half, regardless of how well it's done. The seller of an 'unseen broken headstock' (read: undisclosed) is a certified douche and deserves a baseball bat to the kneecaps.

Only if the repair is verified as to have happened. Without that No one without an X-ray machine or someone who is prepared to strip the neck to find out will ever know. Don’t see the problem 👍

4 minutes ago, JimiH said:

Geez, this has took a dark turn. Read up above. I said if I bought a guitar with a suspected headstock repair when I flipped it I would tell the buyer

...and lose half your money because you paid twice what it's worth.
I read fairly well.

It’s worth exactly what the highest bidder would pay for it. Maybe the highest bidder couldn’t care less about a break. This may go against the grain (pardon the pun) of the cork sniffing brigade but it’s true. You may laugh and scoff at the douche who paid double what you would have but in the end if he’s happy then so am I. Good night 🤘

6 minutes ago, JimiH said:

It’s worth exactly what the highest bidder would pay for it.

Really? I've never heard that before.

At least now everyone knows from whom they can get top dollar for their broken head stock guitars.

The deciding factor is surely what the guitar plays like and sounds like? That’s what it’s for, to be played. Or is the enjoyment of talking about how pristine it is and how much you got it for matter more? To me it’s the former but if you swing the other way or are somewhere in between that’s fine also 👍

Just now, JimiH said:

The deciding factor is surely what the guitar plays like and sounds like? That’s what it’s for, to be played. Or is the enjoyment of talking about how pristine it is and how much you got it for matter more? To me it’s the former but if you swing the other way or are somewhere in between that’s fine also 👍

Yeah, but when you introduce the concept of "flipping" into the process, you have to consider resale value. Any kjnd of structural damage kills resale value.

3 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Yeah, but when you introduce the concept of "flipping" into the process, you have to consider resale value. Any kjnd of structural damage kills resale value.

Exactly which is why I said from the start if I flipped I would inform the buyer 👊

Archived