Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jazzmaster .... ???

I'm trying to thin the heard and get down to just a few guitars. I'm happy with my LP and SG but not so much with my strats. I like the way they look and play but they always sound so wimpy to me. 

Anyway I thought maybe I should try a Jazzmaster, I've always wanted one, all my biggest indie heros play them ... but I've heard they are a complicated beast. And I know NOTHING about them. 

OK so whats the deal with the Jazzmaster? I want the biggest sound, biggest frets and biggest neck possible.  So many different models, I dont know where to start. Lower end custom shop is OK but I ain't payin' six grand. 

Thanks!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Thin/wimpy", Strats, y'say? I've never had that problem with Strats. If you're expecting them to have as much output and ballz as your Gibsons, well, keep hoping. Strats are so easy to dial in. How can you not get a good sound from them?

A Jazzmaster won't get you any closer. They're cool guitars in their own right, but have a few built-in peccadillos, starting with the tremelos and ending with the electronics. They don't come with big frets/necks, but you never know what's out there. You could always put one together and specify neck shape and fret size, but that would prolly get expensive.  

I would try out one locally and see if it's for you. Or, learn how to get a big sound from your Strats and save some money.

1 hour ago, Punkavenger said:

Actually my Telecaster does sound fantastic ...

If you want to try a different bridge pickup in a strat, I really liked the Seymour Duncan Twangbanger. Pushes the guitar in more of a Tele'ish tone but doesn't totally kill the strat vibe. Oh, if you want to try one of those metal base plates on your strat bridge pickup that is another option. 

Don't laugh, but go check out a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster. Shockingly good for the asking price, and perfect for a JM noob. Most people love the way the offsets hang on you, but their pickups, electronics packages and trems are either loved or, um ... not loved. The Squier will let you figure out in which camp you fall for a fraction of the investment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warmoth-Offset-J-style-loaded-body-Custom-Shop-quality-components-Seafoam/232850971793

I have this body up for auction on eBay.  The neck is also available.

Just sayin'   😏

PA060018.JPG

My offset Telemaster is the perfect Tele type. Most comfy body style ever, cool looks, and sounds like a Tele.

Strat sound on steroids = 3-pickup Firebird.

If you have to have the Jazzmaster or Strat shape, drop three P90s or three Firebird pickups (not minihums) into one and add the big Allparts Strat neck ( https://www.allparts.com/SRO-W-Wide-Replacement-Neck-for-Stratocaster_p_3511.html ) and you're good to go.

I have always wanted a Jazzmaster but knew about the issues with the bridge and tremolo design. Mastery seems to have solved those issues with their replacement bridge and tremolo. A while back, I had one made locally and I, ultimately, ended up sending it back because the neck was not to my liking. A friend of mine used to work for Bilt guitars and suggested that I reach out to them. They are making me a hollowbody Jazzmaster (called a Zaftig) with the Mastery bridge & tremolo, plus Lollar Regal pickups and they are carving the neck to match my American Standard Strat neck which is the profile that I prefer. Price is around $2,500 for a completely handmade guitar to my specs. I think that is a very fair price. The guitar is a couple of weeks away from being done. I will post picks when it gets in. Here is a picture of one from their website.

ZAF-SB.jpg

Compared to an LP and SG, the strat going to sound more airy, just due to the pickup setup.  You could always look at some blade or stacked pickups for more OOMPH if you want it.

That G&L looks killer, thank you good choice, but the G&L headstock has always  bugged the fuck outta me. I'm worried I'll get it home, love the way it sounds and then have to sell it. I'm trying to get down to 4 guitars.  The LP, SG, Tele and some kinda Strat replacement. I have $2,331in my reverb account ...

Strat or JM? Or find some sort of mash-up of the two? With a bit of Tele slipped in.....

I have long had a soft spot in my heart (head?) for a Jazzmaster. Somehow they never quite lived up to my hopes.scott walker electro 5.jpg

For better or worse, no trem.....

43 minutes ago, RobB said:

Get the Nash. You’re gonna do it, so just do it. 

This. Is exactly why I love this place.

Archived