Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jazzmaster .... ???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who like the concept of the G&L Doheny (Strat-style trem, less of that switchery), the Fender American Performer series is very nice. 

This one has been with me since late December and I love everything about it. Screw those JM purists. They can have their pure JM's. I'll take the bastardized version ;) 

IMG_4300.JPG

I never thought anything would replace my Legacy as my favorite guitar but this off-set beauty has claimed the crown. With the Mastery Bridge & Tremolo, this thing stays in tune regardless of the amount of abuse I put it through. I can't put it down. 

Zaftig at The Barn.JPG

8 hours ago, polara said:

It already came with a Mastery bridge, which is good 'cos the stock bridges are so wide the E strings are right at the edge of the fretboard.

On the original bridge, don’t you just have to pick up the strings and move them to different threads on the saddles to adjust the width? That’s what I’ve done with mine. 

11 hours ago, triodecr said:

On the original bridge, don’t you just have to pick up the strings and move them to different threads on the saddles to adjust the width? That’s what I’ve done with mine. 

I never even tried the original. :D my only reference was the Marr Jaguar. It had Mustang saddles from the factory, but they were 55mm spacing so I got a Staytrem so I could do my weak Alex Lifeson hammer-ons and pull-offs on the high E. On that bridge, you could probably file notches to bring those strings in, but then they'd feel kind of odd.

I'm tempted to try the stock bridge (which is in the case) and sell the Mastery if the stock works. You have any comment on the whole "You MUSY use a Mastery on a Jazzmaster" position?

On 7/18/2018 at 9:37 AM, shankyboy said:

I have always wanted a Jazzmaster but knew about the issues with the bridge and tremolo design. Mastery seems to have solved those issues with their replacement bridge and tremolo. A while back, I had one made locally and I, ultimately, ended up sending it back because the neck was not to my liking. A friend of mine used to work for Bilt guitars and suggested that I reach out to them. They are making me a hollowbody Jazzmaster (called a Zaftig) with the Mastery bridge & tremolo, plus Lollar Regal pickups and they are carving the neck to match my American Standard Strat neck which is the profile that I prefer. Price is around $2,500 for a completely handmade guitar to my specs. I think that is a very fair price. The guitar is a couple of weeks away from being done. I will post picks when it gets in. Here is a picture of one from their website.

ZAF-SB.jpg

The guy from JHS Pedals, Joshua Heath Scott, plays one of these.

im Not a strat guy.   Think they look great just never found one that really did the trick.   That said. I have a Nash s-63 that is beefy and dirty.   Not sure if they’re totally accurate (pretty sure it’s hotter).   But it’s a cool composite in what I’d like in a strat/fender      Retro but hotter and decent frets etc.    

49 minutes ago, rugby1970 said:

The guy from JHS Pedals, Joshua Heath Scott, plays one of these.

Guessing the probably did some horse trading because I have seen the guys from Bilt using several JHS pedals when they are demoing their guitars. I know that some of their guitars have built in effects so maybe Joshua builds the circuits for them. 

On 7/17/2018 at 11:44 PM, RobB said:

If you want a single coil sound with kickass output, the single coil G&L MFDs are really hard to beat. 

Evidently G&L will be displaying these JM-type models at 2019 NAMM:

IMG_7164-1024x1024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 7:29 AM, polara said:

I never even tried the original. :D my only reference was the Marr Jaguar. It had Mustang saddles from the factory, but they were 55mm spacing so I got a Staytrem so I could do my weak Alex Lifeson hammer-ons and pull-offs on the high E. On that bridge, you could probably file notches to bring those strings in, but then they'd feel kind of odd.

I'm tempted to try the stock bridge (which is in the case) and sell the Mastery if the stock works. You have any comment on the whole "You MUSY use a Mastery on a Jazzmaster" position?

Oh, ok. Now it all makes sense! 😁

On 7/18/2018 at 3:19 PM, hamerhead said:

Strat sound on steroids = 3-pickup MONACO III

I hade to correct you. You misspelled. Sorry, no offence.

Archived