Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: Dean USA Custom Shop ML

DBraz

After my tour of the Tampa factory in May I have had GAS for a USA Custom Shop Dean. 

This ML popped up the other day and I picked it up yesterday afternoon.  The previous owner bought it new in 2012.  It has some nice options including a Brazilian Rosewood board, an Original Floyd Rose and a Bill Lawrence bridge pickup.  A big plus was that the previous owner bought it at a time he was transitioning to 7 and 8 string guitars and as such it has hung on the wall.  It has its original factory strings and all of the protective plastic is still on the cavity covers and TRC.  The case contained all of the candy - including inspection sign-off and the order spec sheet.

The build quality is high - as I expected after my tour.  Hamer Virtuoso high?  No, but pretty good never the less.  Material choice is good and the sound quality and feel is right up there.  Sound wise it is beefy - there's a lot of mahogany!  It has a bit of a bark like a Les Paul and you can roll off the volume, which I do a lot, to get less gain whilst still retaining clarity.  The jury is out on the neck pickup for me but we're still getting to know each other.  The speed knobs - will soldered holes to create a tactile feel look awful but are very usable.  I quite like the V carve neck.  I have never owned a V carve neck before and could see myself opting for another.  The neck is big but the V carve disguises some of that.

The finish quality is high with a lovely Trans Brazilia Burst over the maple cap.

ORG_DSC05146.JPG

ORG_DSC05156.jpg

ORG_DSC05161.JPG

IMG_5337.jpg

Gorgeous guitar, David! An amazing score! I'd be channeling my inner Dimebag Abbott through that beauty!  Perhaps a KISS decal is in the works? ;)

image.png

That is a beauty. I love MLs. They’re like strapping on an aircraft carrier, but they balance well and the V-necks are killer. 

I brought this home from Chicago in ‘96 when I moved back to the west coast. It’s an ‘83, built in the Ravenswood Ave plant. Sold it ca. 2000, and it currently resides at www.jayrosen.com. I kinda want to get it back, but not for $3k!

8C1F0296-D19B-4A69-ADDF-4C224DC58C32.jpeg

59 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Gorgeous guitar, David! An amazing score! I'd be channeling my inner Dimebag Abbott through that beauty!  Perhaps a KISS decal is in the works? ;)

image.png

I know it's sacrilege but I am not a big Pantera fan despite seeing them when they backed Priest on the Painkiller tour and also when they toured the follow up to Cowboys.  I love the ML shape though.  One of my guitar hero's Adrian Smith had a "baby" ML in the early 80's.

dean-baby-ml-xl.jpg

wow, that's very nice,  dig the Dean Custom Shop stuff, although some of

their import stuff is cool too.  They seem to have a better marketing touch

with their imports than Hamer did.      

Nice score there David. Glad you are in a Honeymoon phase with it and I hope that continues. ML actually hangs nice on a strap too. I should have let you play my Dean Z Pro when you were here. It has that V carve. I like it a ton.

Love my lil import ML from the 2004 Dean open house. E3 #28/50

2004doaml1.jpg

Beautiful - congrats!  I came close to getting a time capsule V recently, but ended up finding the Momose V instead. I like the Zs and MLs too. Someday maybe...

I have an '82 ML bass with the V carve neck.  That was a local CL deal, and so I had the chance to opt out... but I liked it the moment I laid hands on it.  Killer bass, although it's almost big enough to play me!

That's the first time I realized those guitars were based on a flying V with an extra nub and a pointy bit attached... I kind of get it now.... always wondered what the appeal was but I see where it comes from now.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:30 AM, Dasein said:

That's the first time I realized those guitars were based on a flying V with an extra nub and a pointy bit attached... I kind of get it now.... always wondered what the appeal was but I see where it comes from now.

I have a BC Rich ST111 USA, solid mahogany, Dimarzio loaded, it is a lovely deep meaty sounding guitar, David's new Dean makes my guitar sound like a children's mandolin, why, 'cause it has about twice the mahogany so the shape is not just for looks but a clever way the manufacturer can get their guitars to get an even better sound while still looking good. 

13 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I have a BC Rich ST111 USA, solid mahogany, Dimarzio loaded, it is a lovely deep meaty sounding guitar, David's new Dean makes my guitar sound like a children's mandolin, why, 'cause it has about twice the mahogany so the shape is not just for looks but a clever way the manufacturer can get their guitars to get an even better sound while still looking good. 

You were having a ball playing it that’s for sure.  Fast Eddie in action!

EF433AF5-E2E0-408D-A0D4-181F6C5689C1.jpeg

14 hours ago, DBraz said:

You were having a ball playing it that’s for sure.  Fast Eddie in action!

EF433AF5-E2E0-408D-A0D4-181F6C5689C1.jpeg

OMG, I can't believe you posted that picture of me while I was doing an E flat minor 6th pentatonic, with a suspended triode, when I specifically asked that you wait till I riff in G# major. If you get the first round at Maiden, we'll call it even Dbraz.

28 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

OMG, I can't believe you posted that picture of me while I was doing an E flat minor 6th pentatonic, with a suspended triode, when I specifically asked that you wait till I riff in G# major. If you get the first round at Maiden, we'll call it even Dbraz.

Done.  It's free at the VIP bar isn't it?

Archived