Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 1999 Newport Baritone

Saw that a few weeks ago on Craigslist.  Had they used a wraptail the too-narrow space between the bridge and tailpiece could have been avoided.  The deeper-than-production-Newport-Pro neck set loses some access to the higher frets as well.

That‘s very interesting. Quite a subject for Belgian. He’s got the most diverse Newport collection as far as I know.

• 8 months later...

Worth it at that price if you're into Baritones.  They're a blast to play...

What is the tonal difference between a Baritone and a 'regular' G-scale?  Never played one.

They're tonally very similar. The pickups might be slightly different compared to the harmonic locations on the strings... I don't know on this guitar. But baritones in general are just long scale versions of the same thing so you can string them with slightly heavier strings and tune them comfortably lower. A friend has a baritone acoustic that I string with 14s and can comfortably tune down a third or fourth, where a normal scale guitar gets a little sloppy when you tune C to C and really sloppy tuned to B. On his I can slap a capo on 5 and it sounds a lot like my own acoustic with a capo on 2 (I tune to D), but without the capo it is just fatter and deeper.

Generally, it just gives you the option for different chord shapes with a lower bottom. A baritone can even go down to A and work. They're interesting for solo singers who want some notes below their vocal range, or for two guitar bits where you might double with a different shape so you have a voice with more bass than the standard tuned guitar. Metalheads like them for drop B, drop A, and the like, too.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:23 AM, burningyen said:

Not advertised as such, but you can tell from the fretboard and bridge placement:

https://reverb.com/item/13670664-hamer-newport-pro

afjyftp9tzs9108rwcow.jpg

On 7/24/2018 at 10:37 AM, cynic said:

Saw that a few weeks ago on Craigslist.  Had they used a wraptail the too-narrow space between the bridge and tailpiece could have been avoided.  The deeper-than-production-Newport-Pro neck set loses some access to the higher frets as well.

If they spaced the tail piece further back then the body carve would have made it too deep and the strings would have pressed on the back of the bridge. That is my question. But, a wraptail would have been cool and could be substituted. 

10 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

If they spaced the tail piece further back then the body carve would have made it too deep and the strings would have pressed on the back of the bridge. That is my question. But, a wraptail would have been cool and could be substituted. 

It looks like the strings are touching as is.  It could surely be setup so they aren't no matter where the tailpiece.  My guess is they just left the tailpiece in the usual location and slid the bridge back.  

Archived