Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Greta Van Fleet

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

GVF sound pretty Zep II yelp-y to me, but maybe  I've been over-exposed to it by now.

These guys have been digging through the same pile of vinyl influences, but have a better groove to my ears:

Singer has a better growl, too. Chris Cornell-ish. And these guys are all younger than 25 

Dammit man. Those guys are really good, thanks for that Ed.

May just be me,  but I have a few observations about the BC vid... in the opening, the singer reminded me of Burke Shelley. Hell, even the guitar player looked a lot like Tony Bourge. Some of the main riffs took me back to the Moxy 1 album. Really good stuff, I’ll be checking this out for sure.

9 hours ago, RobB said:

Good chit! They have an appeal much like Wolfmother, except WM didn't wear stupid-looking stage clothes like these puds.

The first thing my wife said when they came on Kimmel was, "look at those god awful clothes". 

Hmm, sure, the guitar rock of the 60's and 70's gets rediscovered by young people. But all those retro-rock bands of present somehow never get my attention. Be it those bands like the ones above or bands like Rival Sons or Monster Truck. They sometimes try to be authentic to those acts of the past, sometimes using all that vintage gear, elements of older songs, the fashion of the past. But the compositions stay on one level. All those old bands from the 60's and 70's made contemporary music then. They got inspired by other contemporary music. Nowadays, there are a lot more different kinds of music, many genres that don't influence each others. The music fan has become different in his listening habits too. Even record companies have changed attitudes. So, the times of the past won't repeat anyway. When you look on a stage nowadays, the amps have become smaller, how can they do some stage acting like Hendrix with his feedback now with a small 1x12" combo? I must admit, I am happy that the live music nowadays more focuses on smaller clubs again than the arena stuff. If you want to have a stage presence wearing some special clothing, be it. It is always nice finding your own style. Many of those new retro-bands look as if they drew their inspiration for their look from old 70's rockband posters. The old bands just made their music and evolved, sometimes from Tubular Bells to Moonlight Shadow. That is missing in those retro bands. Once they are the next big thing, they have their 5 minutes of fame, and then people are fed up with it. The larger than life persona that many old musicians had, doesn't seem to work with contemporary artists either. I prefer a band like Vintage Trouble, those have a great live performance, make great music and are nice people.

46 minutes ago, The Shark said:

The first thing my wife said when they came on Kimmel was, "look at those god awful clothes". 

When someone asks me if I listen to GVF, my replay is "Great first single, but I'll check back in around their third album." At some point they have to move past being Zeppelin, even Zeppelin moved past being Zeppelin. LOL 

What they do is great, and if more young kids find Zeppelin after listening to GVF then that is cool too. 

27 minutes ago, The Shark said:

The singer may have copied the style of Plant from early LZ, but the looks remind me of this singer:

I LOVE Vintage Trouble...and need to check out Black Coffee too.

GVF is just too much of a Zep rip for me to dig it. I want them to take their influences someplace new or original.

That said I saw a rig rundown over the winter and the guitarist and bassist both seem to be nice young people.

5 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

GVF is just too much of a Zep rip for me to dig it. I want them to take their influences someplace new or original.

And if they did that, people would rip them for not sounding familiar enough.

I'm just happy to see some old school swagger back in rock music. We're long overdue for a correction from Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend and the other eunuch rock bands du jour.

OMG On the new Kimmel song is the first chord the intro chord to Hard Day’s Night? 

I do dig the guitarist’s tone. Simple proven formula of buckers into a Marshall goosed with a treble booster. 

4 minutes ago, MCChris said:

And if they did that, people would rip them for not sounding familiar enough.

I'm just happy to see some old school swagger back in rock music. We're long overdue for a correction from Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend and the other eunuch rock bands du jour.

I wouldn’t. 

I also love the swagger and testosterone they bring to the party. They seem to love 70s rock as much as I do and that makes me happy. I look forward to their maturation as they seek to create.

The other bands you mentioned mean nothing to me...cannot name a song they perform.

35 minutes ago, BillW said:

its like they're not even trying to sound different than LZ I/II era. Not that I mind....

Wha wa that? Modern vintage? I think I have heard that term before. These guys are getting pushed for a while, rocking the festivals in Germany this year as far as I have seen. I think for right as they bring a fresh breeze to the scene and keep guitar rock high.

It would be kinda funny if they pulled a Silverchair.   I think @MCChris is right about if they develop into their own thing too much, they'll get ripped, which is also why it has to kinda suck to make such an impression on people as to who you are when you are still a teenager.  

I don't want to appear insensitive here but the two guitar players in GVF are brothers, right? Not trick photography? Plus the guitars appear HUGE on them, no?

10 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

OMG On the new Kimmel song is the first chord the intro chord to Hard Day’s Night? 

I do dig the guitarist’s tone. Simple proven formula of buckers into a Marshall goosed with a treble booster. 

Precisely.  Ever watch Randy Bachman show how it was recorded on the record?  It's fantastic.

Archived