Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer T51f Rosewood board

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 12:42 PM, Pieman said:

Curious.  Does the Fishman/piezo take anything away from the "pickup" (?) side?

I had and loved one of these.  But it sounded nothing like a fender and could not be made to with any pickup change.  That said, it was great.  The powerbridge required a stereo or twin ended cord.  Most of my amps are single input so I had to use two to get the most out of it.  I sold it to a worthy owner here.  They are great, but not tele sounding.

• 3 weeks later...
On February 12, 2019 at 7:04 PM, T-51Fred said:

I had and loved one of these.  But it sounded nothing like a fender and could not be made to with any pickup change.  That said, it was great.  The powerbridge required a stereo or twin ended cord.  Most of my amps are single input so I had to use two to get the most out of it.  I sold it to a worthy owner here.  They are great, but not tele sounding.

Swap the bridge for a Fender ashtray bridge/brass saddles and it'll get you to a Tele sound, depending on your choice of pups. I think that ashtray bridge is what really gets that Tele twang. The stock T51 bridge may have performed well, but I don't think it was the right fit for a Tele clone. I mean, either go all the way with the clone or make an intentional, substantive departure, like the Talladega. 

Totally agree about the bridge. Scale length and pickups will get you in the ballpark, but you need the ashtray to get out on the field.

I feel the same way about strats and stamped saddles: to get what I consider to be the "real" vintage strat tone you need them. Obviously there are different opinions and plenty of strats have been made without, but if you ever hear an A/B comparison with all other things being equal, it's a pretty noticeable difference.

19 hours ago, ArnieZ said:

can't believe I still own this bump..... make an offer, reasonable of course😃

arniez

I still have love for this guitar but none of mine have sold so I can't buy this masterpiece. Yet!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So just to clarify, one can or cannot use this as-is with a regular mono cord?  And despite piezo and wiring replacing w plain standard tele bridge is easily reversible?  Dumb questions, but not clear to this bloated (for more... natural reasons) old fart. 

2 hours ago, stedge said:

So just to clarify, one can or cannot use this as-is with a regular mono cord?  And despite piezo and wiring replacing w plain standard tele bridge is easily reversible?  Dumb questions, but not clear to this bloated (for more... natural reasons) old fart. 

Can be used with a mono cord, will only have magnetics available. Would assume bridge can be changed, obviously no piezo then. I do have a standard t51 control plate that comes with the guitar. For full transparency I do not know whether the current bridge uses the original holes for installation. Never asked and never looked

arniez

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived