Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Spitfire Progress

Sad, sad tidings, my forum mates-  the gents painting the Spitfire managed to bollocks up the paint job on my highly anticipated Spitfire. @cmatthes has borne witness to my anxiety  and ire over the prolonged delivery time (now over 3 months from the time they received it in late July ) And while he wisely advised me to be patient, something told me this was not going to end well. Indeed, the final thrust came in the form of the color scheme being significantly off. This is most disappointing. In light of the missed delivery time and some other mishaps with the applications of the paint, I've since opted to send the guitar to someone more capable of finishing per specs, on time and without defects.

Sadly, the Spitfire will not make it into my hands in time to be onstage for our final show as a band. This was one of the bigger reasons why I sent it to the gents I did, as the delivery time quoted had it back in hand well before the band did our last few shows. Lesson learned.

Anyway, the new painter is lined up and with luck, I should have it within another 6 weeks.

Pics of the new finish as they become available.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Sad, sad tidings, my forum mates-  the gents painting the Spitfire managed to bollocks up the paint job on my highly anticipated Spitfire. @cmatthes has borne witness to my anxiety  and ire over the prolonged delivery time (now over 3 months from the time they received it in late July ) And while he wisely advised me to be patient, something told me this was not going to end well. Indeed, the final thrust came in the form of the color scheme being significantly off. This is most disappointing. In light of the missed delivery time and some other mishaps with the applications of the paint, I've since opted to send the guitar to someone more capable of finishing per specs, on time and without defects.

Late July or Late August?  I thought by the updates you were posting here that it was later...

What was wrong with the finish?

5 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Late July or Late August?  I thought by the updates you were posting here that it was later...

What was wrong with the finish?

You're right, actually. They received the guitar on Aug. 14. That still has it at just past 3 months on a 6- 8 week quoted delivery time.

As for the finish- this was the sample I sent/spec-ed:

image.png

This what I got:

image.png

Some of the registration and dicey edge issues are indicated. There were others.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, DBraz said:

I think Jim’s choice of green is infinitely better.

I think the perceived difference is likely due more to lighting/camera.   The purple makes the effect look more like random splotches or blobs than neon animal print to me, but I still like it.

image.png

15 hours ago, cynic said:

I think the perceived difference is likely due more to lighting/camera.   The purple makes the effect look more like random splotches or blobs than neon animal print to me, but I still like it.

image.png

I like that scheme too, but the black on green with random neon magenta centers creates much more contrast IMHO. Besides, the neck has matching black inlays. Unity, it's our art principle for the day  ;) 

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah- the design will be thus. FYI, the dropped in hardware and neck were done by the painter via Photoshop and are for placement reference  purposes only.

image.png

1 hour ago, Toadroller said:

'Cause we know they'll be neon this or that.  Looking forward to the end results!

Ya know, I keep hoping they'll release a neon colored series of Floyds along with some dome vol/tone knobs.  😆

32 minutes ago, Toadroller said:

Wouldn't early 80s colored alloy like on BMX bikes work?

004-35.jpg

Oh, man. Those bring back memories of my DG BMX bike (candy apple red with gold anodized wheels and handlebars) and my brother's bike with the FMF red anodized aluminum frame.  

^^^^ Oh, man. I had crummy old plain jane SR stem.  ^^^^

Right now there's a P.K. Ripper frame hanging in a local pawn shop that I've been eyeballing. BUT I know that if I start down that road, I'd blow too much money restoring it. Only to ride it to the end of the drive way and conk over with a heart attack.

sorry, back to the topic......

15 hours ago, FrettyMcgee said:

^^^^ Oh, man. I had crummy old plain jane SR stem.  ^^^^

Right now there's a P.K. Ripper frame hanging in a local pawn shop that I've been eyeballing. BUT I know that if I start down that road, I'd blow too much money restoring it. Only to ride it to the end of the drive way and conk over with a heart attack.

sorry, back to the topic......

Oh, man, the Perry Kramer!   Good times indeed.  I'd love to have a bike like my old one, but then I'd need the time to go ride it too.  

Love this group! I'm thinking there are a lot of borderline ADD's on here. 😆

So, there's this guitar- HEY! Look, a BMX part! 

Archived