Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1977 Sunburst - $9000

Do people actually play $9000 guitars?   Maybe it's just me, but I know if I dropped that kind of coin on a guitar, I'd probably be reluctant to play it.

I don't begrudge the man for trying to maximize what he can get, but it kind of breaks my heart to think that price will make that guitar too valuable to get played.

https://reverb.com/item/13401366-1977-hamer-sunburst-0016-long-headstock-bound-and-crowned-w-ohsc

11 minutes ago, lang said:

Do people actually play $9000 guitars?   Maybe it's just me, but I know if I dropped that kind of coin on a guitar, I'd probably be reluctant to play it.

I don't begrudge the man for trying to maximize what he can get, but it kind of breaks my heart to think that price will make that guitar too valuable to get played.

https://reverb.com/item/13401366-1977-hamer-sunburst-0016-long-headstock-bound-and-crowned-w-ohsc

Yes people try to play $9000 guitars, every Saturday I go to a big guitar store in London and say, "yo dude, hand me that 62 strat so I can burn the f**k out of it". It doesn't always happen, but I do try.

6 hours ago, crunchee said:

...and saying nay costs nuthin', but it can save you $9000 to be spent on something else.

Like 3 different 70's  Sunbursts and a Special or two.

Wow! Love this one!:wub: How could you not? The price...................its quite out of hand based on what the current market will bear for a guitar like that. There was a "PROTOTYPE" Hamer Sunburst that was being sold out of the Netherlands..................and I'm not privy as to what it sold for but I don't believe it was in this ballpark money wise. As far as gigging with high $$$$ "Vintage" guitars....................like him or not JB has quite a rack he tours with........................and that's not all of them. Regarding this Hamer, remember this one?http://s924.photobucket.com/user/Dutchbopper/slideshow/Hamer Sunburst Prototype

12 hours ago, lang said:

It looks like there were other tuners on this guitar at some point.

8 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

It looks like there were other tuners on this guitar at some point.

Indeed. There are actually two different models of tuners on it currently

qglvxz5vlknwi9knd4e0.jpg

And then there's one of my Top 10 pet peeves.

ghohljrvr1r2y3lh5eyv.jpg

If you're going to ask more than twice what a guitar is worth, you'd better have all of your shit perfect, and this one, in a word, "ain't."

Mark me down as one of the forum expert Nay Sayers who is saying Nay. FUCK Nay, in fact.

11 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

As a forum expert I say nay.

When have old Standards gone over $10,000.00? 

I can think of several that I've played and know the sellers.

4 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Indeed. There are actually two different models of tuners on it currently

qglvxz5vlknwi9knd4e0.jpg

And then there's one of my Top 10 pet peeves.

ghohljrvr1r2y3lh5eyv.jpg

If you're going to ask more than twice what a guitar is worth, you'd better have all of your shit perfect, and this one, in a word, "ain't."

Mark me down as one of the forum expert Nay Sayers who is saying Nay. FUCK Nay, in fact.

Sharp  eyes KIZ!............................I caught the tuner holes [And that extra strap button hole that should not be there] but not that fact that there ARE 2  different sets of "GROVERS" on the guitar.

9 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Sharp  eyes KIZ!............................I caught the tuner holes [And that extra strap button hole that should not be there] but not that fact that there ARE 2  different sets of "GROVERS" on the guitar.

2 different sets of Grovers should double the value. 2 is more than 1. More is more.

Don't know if Jazzermans earlier 1977 Sunburst prototype for the Namm show is still for sale. Priced about the same:

16 hours ago, kizanski said:

qglvxz5vlknwi9knd4e0.jpg

Don't know if I see it right, but how did they save the serial number when it got the red repaint both sides of the head covering the original tuner holes?

I'm quite sure there is a repaint since the wood grain leading from the neck into the head does not naturally fade out on the head.

2 hours ago, gorch said:

I'm quite sure there is a repaint since the wood grain leading from the neck into the head does not naturally fade out on the head.

That does look kinda funky...

On 8/26/2018 at 10:31 AM, gtrdaddy said:

I’m not sure. Hey Don @django49, can you answer that question for the man?

:lol:

"Do people actually play $9000 guitars?   Maybe it's just me, but I know if I dropped that kind of coin on a guitar, I'd probably be reluctant to play it".

Let me answer the question with a question.....How many of you have a trophy wife and never take her out to play?

1 hour ago, prototype-fan said:

This guy must really NOT want to sell this guitar. When you look at his Reverb.com store, most of his items seem pretty reasonably priced, but there are a good number that have wishful thinking pricing.

He's clearly going through a bitter divorce, and doing his best to make this as painful as possible for his wife and her lawyer...God Bless him.

Archived