Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The time has come, the walrus said.......

"STFU, Paul", Yoko said.

I have forgotten how many times, over multiple years. I have SWORN neither of these would ever go anywhere. But, sometimes things change. I love owning them, and do consider them to be 2 of my favorite 3 Hamers of all time, but they are really not getting much playing time, as I increasingly gravitate (Gravelin?) to other things. If I am going to be honest with myself in wanting to have "less stuff." decisions need to be made.

First, is the infamous Triple Threat, one of 30 specially configured Studio Customs. The one someone referred to as a great big neck that just happens to have a guitar attached, I have owned 3. Sold the first, because this one was just so much better. Got a third later, just because it was available, but cut it loose shortly thereafter. Again, liked this one a lot more. I thought it was "prettier" and the upgrade in the electronics just is much better than stock. It has Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pickups. One of many that the winders promoter as having deciphered the DNA of original PAFs. And touted as such, a good while back, by Tone Report. 

Anyway, to me, this is probably the most Les Paul-like Hamer I have played, notwithstanding the double cutaway. And, FWIW, the big neck is now part of my "tone formula" when looking at other guitars.

Second, the limited (1 of 25) Earthen Maple Studio Customs. Korina (chambered) body and neck. Brazilian board. And there is (or was) an extensive report in one of Jol's old blogs about "how special the earthen maple" is. I love the way the lightweight korina body and neck ring. To up the ante, the pickups were replaced with WCR Godwoods. To me, they live up to the hype. When I got it, the bridge pickup was set higher than my  usual setup. I have not changed it, as i like the sharper difference with these pickups when switching. If anyone has played a PRS Santana, you probably know what I am talking about.

The chambered korina, together with "strong pickups:, is a second part of my "tone formula" on the pending custom order.

I am not going to hype these too much. I have loved them a long time. Both are in about as close to new condition as one could hope for, along with the cases, . and there are no issues at all. IMG_2133.JPGIMG_2136.JPG

(Note that I do NOT have the original Duncan pickups for either. I would be VERY surprised if anyone will ever miss them). And I will be happy to converse with anyone interested, if they are interested in why I am selling these particular ones, wants more  pix, etc.

So, how to price guitars like these that seem to seldom appear for sale? If I am not mistaken, one of each has popped up in the past year or so. I did not record or printout the listings. IIRC, they were both posted at or near $3500. And I believe one  (TT) sold within a day, the other listing (EM) disappearing quickly---Without a trace of whether it sold or the seller reconsidered. AFAIK, that was the first EM (Studio) listing that has popped up, possibly within the last 5 years. But I could be wrong.

So, let me just propose $3500 each**, inclusive of shipping (CONUS only!). Add payment fees, if necessary. I am not looking for trades, unless there was something REALLY out of the ordinary that might overcome my recent low octane GAS rating.

If nothing else, enjoy the pictures. I will post a few more of each below.

** Please note that I still have one "dibs" that has not cleared waivers. Accordingly, to honor that longstanding request, I am going to reserve the EM for that one person until Monday,.

I bought that Triple Threat from the original owner. Spectacular in every way but I couldn't hang with the large neck. I prefer the '95-97 carves. If you like a large neck, DO NOT Let this Triple Threat get past you. How often are people here looking for one and they rarely pop up for sale.  

• 1 month later...

Update.....EM is sold pending payment. ETA-----SHIPPED!

Anyone for making a reasonable offer on the Triple Threat? It is a goodie!

On 9/8/2018 at 6:20 PM, Jakeboy said:

That EM is simply gorgeous. GLWTS and I look forward to seeing what replaces them...

^+1

I appreciate the words of appreciation for those two. I am not exaggerating when I say that, of the dozens of Hamers that have passed my way, those are 2 of my 3 favorites. I definitely feel a twinge of regret. Each a standout, but quite different from each other, though both are variations of the Studio model.

Getting something awesome? I suppose. Going on a year and a half ago, I committed to a pair of custom orders, designed to TRY to capture the best parts of every guitar I have enjoyed. While simultaneously trying to make some hard decisions about cutting loose a LOT of really fine instruments.-An ongoing effort. High hopes and all that! One of the COs arrived a few weeks back. (Wooden It Be Loverly thread). other has yet to escape the wilds of Shishkov County, but is probably not too far away. (See the 88 thread).

People are probably tired of me singing the praises of "Old Blue". But I swear that it has made me a much better player. It is hard to describe unless you play it. I do believe it is smarter than me, as it takes me wherever I want to go, even before I know myself. IF it is true that there is ONE in your life, perhaps that is my fate. At least part of it is the longer scale, but it is the sum of the parts.

HuberDolphin4.JPG

That said, I will confess that there is a rival. It is super light (5 pounds 11) that is SORT OF the same guitar. Except it is chambered KORINA (with matching neck), has a softwood (redwood) top, ebony board. The "Voice of the Angels" as it were. Maybe it too needs a nickname,. Neither "Old Red" nor "Old Brown" rings true. But I am open to suggestions.

Huber_Redwood_Dolphin_Tigereye_Sunburst_Korina2.jpg

Huber_Redwood_Dolphin_Tigereye_Sunburst_Korina3.jpg

And I hope to eventually report that the custom order Shishkov wails on both of their asses. Just not quite there yet.......

Eventually, it comes down to getting older, knowing how great some of these guitars are, but then seldom playing them. It is a cliche, but they really need to be in the hands of someone that gives them more regular love!

1 hour ago, django49 said:

I appreciate the words of appreciation for those two. I am not exaggerating when I say that, of the dozens of Hamers that have passed my way, those are 2 of my 3 favorites. I definitely feel a twinge of regret. Each a standout, but quite different from each other, though both are variations of the Studio model.

Getting something awesome? I suppose. Going on a year and a half ago, I committed to a pair of custom orders, designed to TRY to capture the best parts of every guitar I have enjoyed. While simultaneously trying to make some hard decisions about cutting loose a LOT of really fine instruments.-An ongoing effort. High hopes and all that! One of the COs arrived a few weeks back. (Wooden It Be Loverly thread). other has yet to escape the wilds of Shishkov County, but is probably not too far away. (See the 88 thread).

People are probably tired of me singing the praises of "Old Blue". But I swear that it has made me a much better player. It is hard to describe unless you play it. I do believe it is smarter than me, as it takes me wherever I want to go, even before I know myself. IF it is true that there is ONE in your life, perhaps that is my fate. At least part of it is the longer scale, but it is the sum of the parts.

HuberDolphin4.JPG

That said, I will confess that there is a rival. It is super light (5 pounds 11) that is SORT OF the same guitar. Except it is chambered KORINA (with matching neck), has a softwood (redwood) top, ebony board. The "Voice of the Angels" as it were. Maybe it too needs a nickname,. Neither "Old Red" nor "Old Brown" rings true. But I am open to suggestions.

Huber_Redwood_Dolphin_Tigereye_Sunburst_Korina2.jpg

Huber_Redwood_Dolphin_Tigereye_Sunburst_Korina3.jpg

And I hope to eventually report that the custom order Shishkov wails on both of their asses. Just not quite there yet.......

Eventually, it comes down to getting older, knowing how great some of these guitars are, but then seldom playing them. It is a cliche, but they really need to be in the hands of someone that gives them more regular love!

I think you just gave it a nickname 

“Angel”

Further update....The Triple Threat is sold, pending receipt of payment. Good news---Both staying in the family.

Are either of the Hubers for sale? Danke schoen, NEIN! Simply a reply to the folks that inquired what it would take to let go of two of the best (IMO) Hamers ever.

I cannot imagine a scenario where I'd be motivated to give up either one.

If anyone is seriously interested in a Huber, I do have the Junior posted in a separate thread. There are two others on hold for one buyer, with the expectation that will be a 2019 transaction.

There ARE a handful of what I would consider desirable (used) Hubers currently offered at what I consider very fair prices. I have no affiliation with any of the sellers, but can steer someone towards them, if desired......Please PM for details.

Did I mention a Junior?

IMG_2089.JPG

Thanks all!

Archived