Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommend: Attenuator, +/- $300 Used

Michael_B

Question

I stumbled into a trade for a Friedman Runt 20 head.  This will be my first tube amp and I've been blissfully ignorant, until now.

It's my understanding that I'll want an attenuator, since I live in an apartment.  I've seen Dr. Z airbrake and Suhr reactive load attenuators in the $300 ballpark.  I'd welcome thoughts on a good value, transparent attenuator.

I'll probably want to get a multi-effects board.  Any recommendations on good value xFX boards would be welcome.

The counter-trader threw in a 1x12 Egnator cab with Celestion Creamback, which he valued at $100.  So, I may be looking for a "better" cab.  I haven't completed the trade.  It's pending ATF approval of transfering my trade bait.

While getting into tube amps is at odds with my drive to declutter my life, better guitar stuff than little used guns.  BTW, if anyone else wants to take me to the cleaners on a guns for guitar gear trade, shoot me a PM.

9 answers to this question

Hi Michael, Imo this review by Phillip McKnight from June 18th, 2018  between the Rivera RockCrusher ($549 at Sweetwater) & the Bugera PS1 ($99 new on Reverb) is a great reference point. PMcKnight likes both of them. Obviously big price difference. Also, The Rivera is made in California. Here is the link to the Youtube Video:

I’m happy for years with the Weber mini Maas attenuators. Having tried many, these are the ones. Scored them all used on Ebay. 

Try out and sell them away if you don’t like them. Shouldn’t cost you much though.

I'll second the Weber Mass. I've been using the full size 25 watt version for several years and like it fine. It does color the sound slightly. Seems to cover up the highs a little. But not enough to notice. Besides I only use it in a small room which changes everything about the over all sound way more than any attenuator could.

+3 on the Weber MASS series. I currently have a MASSLite but it is really only good for taking the loudness down a few dbs...maybe cutting the sound in half....for getting the volume way down, I use my Badcat Unleash. Real,y a great attenuator/remap with an fox loop. But usually I just use a smaller amp like a Champ or 1 watt Marshall JMP if I want a quieter tone...that said, sometimes I want to hear my 5e3or 6g6b cranked..,and out come my friends, my attenuators. 

I must say I am impressed with the Bugera in the video above. So impressed I may buy one for when I play out...Anymore, I am always asked to turn down either the 5e3, my Mesa , or the 6g6b. The Bugera sounds good.....astonishingly so in the video.

I've got a Dr. Z Brake Light, and it sounds great.  Works with amps up to around 40 watts, IIRC.

Even on it's quietest setting, it doesn't knock the amp down enough for super quiet operation.

Doesn't the Runt 20 have a master volume?  Might not need an attenuator unless it's got to

be whisper quiet. Oh yah, I've got a Rivera Rock Crusher too, but seems like a lot of $ for your

purpose.  The Rivera is truly insane though, just pricey.  You can dial the output down to nothing.

Post a review of the Runt when you get it. I've had my eye on one for a while!

Archived