Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA Rare Gibson Case

I recognize the case lining as the same stuff in my 1970's Japanese banjo case. 

There are some old guitars that are best matched to an original case.  Some 1950's guitar cases can be several hundred dollars.  The case in that Reverb listing has "probably" in the description.  "Probably" does not justify the price.

Stupid price indeed.

But with The Internet, you can throw it out and hope that somewhere on the planet that one person that really needs/wants one will see it and say

"Oh La La! What a great buy!!"

Glad I'm not the guy looking for one this week.

2 hours ago, crunchee said:

Old or not, it doesn't exactly scream 'authentic' to me.  Even if it did, I wouldn't trust an expensive and/or prized guitar to this case, not with those latches.

The sides of my old banjo case were apparently made of some kind of board that has disintegrated over the years.  The screws on the latches no longer have anything to screw into.  If that Japanese guitar case with similar lining is made of the same type of wood, one might be best off finding another case anyway. 

11 hours ago, cmatthes said:

That’s fucking stupid.

Yes it iS and for that price you could buy a much better case that would actually protect your guitar.

Back in the late 40's or early 50's Epiphone had to make 17 1/2" bodies when Gibson was making 17" bodies.  The Epiphone Emperor was 18" across the lower body.  Finding a case to fit those old Epiphones is hard to do.  In a situation like that, the price of a case can be higher just because the cases are not as easily interchangeable.  If you buy a vintage guitar without the original case you better know where you can find a case to fit it.  Otherwise, you will drive yourself crazy holding out for a good deal. 

21 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Back in the late 40's or early 50's Epiphone had to make 17 1/2" bodies when Gibson was making 17" bodies.  The Epiphone Emperor was 18" across the lower body.  Finding a case to fit those old Epiphones is hard to do.  In a situation like that, the price of a case can be higher just because the cases are not as easily interchangeable.  If you buy a vintage guitar without the original case you better know where you can find a case to fit it.  Otherwise, you will drive yourself crazy holding out for a good deal. 

All very true!

I remember bringing my '53 Goldtop to a guitar show (remember those?) and had at least 5 guys stop me even before I entered the main floor trying to buy just the original case.  They wanted the case (and the original amber switch tip) more than the guitar itself, probably either to sell to somebody with a caseless Burst or for a forgery.

18 hours ago, Submariner85 said:

Why does the case have the word Vintage on it?

Because it's not.

:D

22 minutes ago, tommy p said:

Not as crazy as this, but I've noticed people are starting to ask $150-200 for Gibson "chainsaw" cases.  Why?  I have two of those, one not even being used.

They're cool cases. And I think they protect very well, IIRC.
Sell it!

Archived