Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How much would this deter you from buying?

LucSulla

I'm just playing strats a lot more as of late and getting a whole lot more of what I want to sound like out of them.  My main strat is great, despite just being a normal old American Standard from the mid 90s.  It plays great and sounds great, but I have kind of been looking for a back up.  I saw this one, and I dig it.  The price seems OK as well, but when you look at the back...  It looks like someone routed a canyon into the trem cavity.  How much would this put you off?

hrapt4z6pccqj5869u8l.jpg

1 hour ago, RobB said:

Meh. If it plays/sounds great, buy it. Maybe you can negotiate a discount for the “woodworking upgrade?”

if you like how it plays & sounds go for it. Mid-late 90's American Fenders are my favorite era of Strats

I wouldn't let it can a deal but I'd tirekick like a fuck over it ... because in a buyer's market that is flooded with Fender Strats and (insert brand here) strat knockoffs, everyone else is gonna tirekick like a fuck too.

9 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

My guess is the rout was done during a bridge swap for proper clearance and fitting, but obviously was over done to the extent that the cavity at the top left in the picture will extend past the back cover plate, or come darn close. 

The trem block is pulled all the way forward intentionally to pull the bridge down against the top of the guitar. Not how I would do it, but the reason he did it is it prevents notes from going flat while bending double stops and provides better string to body resonance for a bigger and more articulate sound.

Thank you for the clarification.   I just thought it looked strange, but now I learned something new.  Have a great evening.  

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

My guess is the rout was done during a bridge swap for proper clearance and fitting, but obviously was over done to the extent that the cavity at the top left in the picture will extend past the back cover plate, or come darn close. 

Maybe. Hard to say. Might have been one of those stupidly huge, “big blocks” , which necessitated the rout. 

Decked trems are where it’s AT for vintage trems. I’ll take the, “reduced back-pull”, for the tone and intonation anytime. 

Looking at other American Standard strat bodies, are you sure that cavity has been enlarged? It looks more like a case of Sloppy original placement of the screws for the tremolo cover.

41 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Looking at other American Standard strat bodies, are you sure that cavity has been enlarged? It looks more like a case of Sloppy original placement of the screws for the tremolo cover.

It could very well be, but it looks a bit larger to me. 

Archived