Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Les Paul Standard, Long Scale

topekatj

15 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Is the body larger as well, like a SuperPro or a Robin Avalon, in order to keep body-to-neck scale?

Looking at it again, the size of the pickups looks right relative to the body, but the neck pickup must be a little closer to the bridge to accommodate the slightly longer fingerboard (from fret 16 to 22).

3 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Looking at it again, the size of the pickups looks right relative to the body, but the neck pickup must be a little closer to the bridge to accommodate the slightly longer fingerboard (from fret 16 to 22).

But the fretboard doesn't encroach onto the body more than usual, though.  The top of the body starts at the 16th fret, just like LPs with 24.75" scale.

Here's a 25.5" fretboard on a stock (24.75" scale) neck.  The neck pickup is moved toward the strap pin (as well as the other pickup and the bridge).

hel_std.jpg

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

But the fretboard doesn't encroach onto the body more than usual, though.  The top of the body starts at the 16th fret, just like LPs with 24.75" scale.

Here's a 25.5" fretboard on a stock (24.75" scale) neck.  The neck pickup is moved toward the strap pin (as well as the other pickup and the bridge).

hel_std.jpg

It seems like the fingerboard would need to be 3/8" longer from the 12th fret to the bridge (25.5 - 24-3/4) divided by 2 = 3/8"(?), meaning it would have to encroach 3/8" further onto the body, making it even *more difficult* to reach those upper LP frets!

Looking at the space between pickups on the Les Paul it looks like there would be more than enough room for a third pickup in the middle with a little of the maple top showing between pickups.  On Kiz' Standard it looks like the space between pickups is a little tighter. 

I have also tried looking at where the bridge and tailpiece are on the Les Paul's body compared to others.  It is similar to looking at PRS guitars and being able to see the bridge placement difference between the 22 and 24 fret models.  The bridge position looks like the same on place on the Les Paul.

Just looking at photos is not as good as having something in hand to take measurements. 

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Looking at the space between pickups on the Les Paul it looks like there would be more than enough room for a third pickup in the middle with a little of the maple top showing between pickups.  On Kiz' Standard it looks like the space between pickups is a little tighter. 

I would imagine the distance between the pickups on my Standard and the pickups on that Les Paul are exactly the same, provided the builders know how to measure.
This is not always a given - believe me.

Archived