Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If not an original Sustain Block bridge, what?

Drew816

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Hbom said:

Here's some pics of the SSB from #0124. It has the pick guard shim that is 0.0930" thick. I am sorry for the pics but the darn thing is not cooperating this morning.

20200213_082649.jpg20200213_082705.jpg

Shouldn't it be Hamer Sunburst #7 0124?   

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Shouldn't it be Hamer Sunburst #7 0124?   

My old 78 was 8 0111 and had pickguard plastic as a spacer. 
Around what serial number did they cross from 77-78?

and did they use the plastic vs wood at any particular time period or just grab what they had available...?

I forget the cutoff for '77s.  It might be a '78?

On 2/12/2020 at 9:47 PM, Never2Late said:

This is an OEM Sustainblock bridge on a custom Hamer.  The bridge has the saddles as H-I-G-H as they can go to clear the bridge pickup and maintain correct action.  There is no adjustment 'left' in the bridge, as I'm almost out of threads on the saddle screws.  Saddles are almost 30-45 degrees from the base of the bridge plate.  I need a 'spacer' to install under the Sustainblock plate to elevate it .  I'm close enough to your NH shop to bring the guitar in if you'd like to take measurements.

Bridge2.jpeg

Bridge.jpeg

Bridge3.jpeg

That would awesome!

It appears from the various photos here, that some of the bridge plates are thin (like a normal Fender hardtail) and others are fatter (like the plates I just made).

I would make any spacer plate from brass stock (like the bridge plate). I'm guessing that it should be 3/32" - 1/8" thick...

1 hour ago, MannMade USA said:

....It appears from the various photos here, that some of the bridge plates are thin (like a normal Fender hardtail) and others are fatter (like the plates I just made)....

The originals were exactly that - the thin plate with a shim. The Sustain Blocks came later.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, Never2Late said:

Bridge2.jpeg

It seems odd to me that an original Sustain Block guitar has that issue. Has anything else been done to it? Neck re-set, maybe?

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

It seems odd to me that an original Sustain Block guitar has that issue. Has anything else been done to it? Neck re-set, maybe?

It was converted to a Sustainblock.

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

Hamer added shims to guitars that had botched neck angles new from the shop. It’s in the book. 

24 minutes ago, RobB said:

Hamer added shims to guitars that had botched neck angles new from the shop. It’s in the book. 

That was prior to, and the reason for,  the Sustain Block (thicker) bass (or so I thought).

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

It was converted to a Sustainblock.

Uh, no....the Guitar was converted from a Sustainblock to a Kahler surface-mount by the PO.  I converted it back to original.  When I bought my Sustainblock, I had no idea there were two different 'versions'.

3 hours ago, hamerhead said:

To the best of my knowledge, the neck is OEM correct.  The pickups in it when I bought the guitar were EMGs mounted 'low'.

2 hours ago, Never2Late said:

Uh, no....the Guitar was converted from a Sustainblock to a Kahler surface-mount by the PO.  I converted it back to original.  When I bought my Sustainblock, I had no idea there were two different 'versions'.

I just knew that Stike had a Kahlered Blitz prior to the Sustainblock being added.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 2:53 PM, cynic said:

As mentioned earlier, the easy solution would be to create a wooden shim.  If you go to the trouble of having something machined you may as well make a  new base plate using thicker stock to keep it all one piece.

I'm working that angle with an area luthier - the current string height is 'perfect' off of the fretboard, I'm very happy with that aspect of the setup.

39 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Who's?

"MY luthier" in TGPese, of course. Maybe in Welsh, too, given the obligatory "y."

But here on the HFC, the possessive modifier is neither implied nor inferred.

15 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Who's?

Trevor Healy - he built/assembled 'The Last One' Mirage II, and did the neck-work and assembly on my Patrick Nagel Centaura.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:40 PM, Travis said:

My old 78 was 8 0111 and had pickguard plastic as a spacer. 
Around what serial number did they cross from 77-78?

and did they use the plastic vs wood at any particular time period or just grab what they had available...?

From page 50 of 'The Book' - "Of course, 'regular production' for Hamer at this point meant only a total of ninety-six guitars from the June NAMM show through the end of 1977"

Plastic shim here under 7 0094's bridge.

14 hours ago, wil50n said:

From page 50 of 'The Book' - "Of course, 'regular production' for Hamer at this point meant only a total of ninety-six guitars from the June NAMM show through the end of 1977"

Plastic shim here under 7 0094's bridge.

Ah, I should’ve consulted my copy. Thanks for the reference. 

Archived