Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If not an original Sustain Block bridge, what?

Drew816

P.S.  It's a matter of balance.  I don't want the bridge pushed too bar back on the studs; I rather want it in the middle.  I don't want the saddles too far back; I rather want them in the middle.  Sure, it's possible to take either to an extreme, with the other compensating.  If you spent the years, with the many bridges tried, I did on this particular problem, you'd know what I mean.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And take the MannMade wraparound bridge, mentally map it onto the pictured guitar (where the saddles sit in relation to the studs), and see how far you'd have to turn those Allen screws to make the saddles align with where they'd need to be (if you hope to keep the saddles roughly in the middle).  Since I've tried this exercise (with actual bridges) many times, I can already see that to make it work, the bridge would have to be pushed so far back, the Allen screws probably aren't long enough. 

See what I mean?

Maybe Mr. Mann has the eye to see what I see.  I'd be willing to bet $100 that with that MannMade wraparound, the saddles on the E and G string would be 100% back, and even then the bridge would be pushed a little too far back.  But the problem is with my Tally Pro, not his bridge.

10 hours ago, MarkF786 said:

Please do let us know how it compares.

Looks to be super high quality

7840CA7F-D08D-442B-8728-89D34271B35E.jpeg

444DF63F-7BBE-4B1A-943D-98C987AC3C87.jpeg

7C2F05F3-AA21-48D9-9DED-121F979435AF.jpeg

Got mine today!!!  Looks amazing and a little surprised at the heft of it. Thanks, John @MannMade USA

Now... about that trem I’ve got in my shopping cart... 🤔

9754948C-E1B9-4D18-8268-02A276288917.jpeg

5 hours ago, MarkF786 said:

I've been working on guitars for 25 years and can setup a guitar better than most boutique builders.  I'm obsessive about it actually, have many books on the topic, have every imaginable tool Stew Mac makes, and know how to use them.  And I'm an engineer by trade, meticulous in detail.

The f'ing Allen screws are adjusted - look at the picture.

If you truly understand guitar setup and want to know more, PMing me and I'll share all the details.

Firstly, no one here is a mind reader. I'm far from the only one on this board who looked at your picture and can easily see there is a lot more adjustment travel available on that bridge before it will fall off. If it's aesthetics you don't like, we aren't mind readers; it doesn't change the fact that you can still make a hell of a lot more of an adjustment on it so you don't need to flip your saddles. 

Secondly, you want to curse at me for making a helpful suggestion?

Thirdly, condescension, braggadocious and childish behavior have no place on this board. If you knew who you were talking to, and who other members on this board are, you would feel pretty stupid at this point.

Lastly, YOU, know NOTHING of me, you have big stupid fucking balls.

DR DWEP

26 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Firstly, no one here is a mind reader. I'm far from the only one on this board who looked at your picture and can easily see there is a lot more adjustment travel available on that bridge before it will fall off. If it's aesthetics you don't like, we aren't mind readers; it doesn't change the fact that you can still make a hell of a lot more of an adjustment on it so you don't need to flip your saddles. 

Secondly, you want to curse at me for making a helpful suggestion?

Thirdly, condescension, braggadocious and childish behavior have no place on this board. If you knew who your were talking to, and who other members on this board are, you would feel pretty stupid at this point.

Lastly, YOU, know NOTHING of me, you have big stupid fucking balls.

DR DWEP

Dr Dwep,

Flip those saddles in your mind and see how far back they'd need to sit.  Then imagine if you wanted to give them a little room to adjust intonation, which will push the bridge back further.  And how well will that bridge now sit without forward lean?  And so on.  Been there, done that.  Over time, I learned to look at the position of the furtherest back saddles in relation to the center of the studs - and from that I can quickly gauge how well a bridge will work (and the MannMade wraparound won't work). Many bridges have failed to work, to teach me that hard lesson.

Online, people often assume they know better (on whatever topic it may be).  As I posted my comment, I thought to myself, "I know someone is going to try to say I'm wrong" and you were with first to take a swing.

There's no more condescension or anything else beyond what was in your original message.

Mark

11 minutes ago, MarkF786 said:

you were with first to take a swing.

There's no more condescension or anything else beyond what was in your original message.

Mark

Original message; nothing more than a helpful suggestion to a majority of people reading it:

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

You do realize there are Allen screws on both sides of the bridge so you can move the entire bridge, either side independently, forwards and backwards so that you can avoid reversing the saddles?

You Son, are a choad.

5 minutes ago, MarkF786 said:

Do you realize, that I realize, that there are Allen screws on both sides of the bridge?  And on it goes... I've just shortcut the debate.

I tend to be confrontational, to quickly get to the point.  Sorry for the abrasion.

Apology accepted. 

Going forward, try to remember this isn't The Rear Page.

And I guess it comes from experience, of politely engaging in dialog, where 20+ posts later there's still a debate around the topic, rather than directly assertion the facts.

My point it, my original comment was well founded, on years of effort.

One thing I learnt in my career: starting any new job, my boss would my question my statements, like they would any employee.  In time, they'd learn I'd never make a statement unless I've thorough researched it to be true; my word then became gospel.  That basic principle has fueled my career to great success; if I state an "opinion", it's 99% accurate.

I don't say this to pat myself on the back, but rather to say we should all seek to only make a statement if we're very confident in what we say.

LOL.  It's been a rough week, preparing a very large company to deal with COVID-19.  I'm probably more abrasive than usual, being forced to exert that level of energy to get things done.

This banter here is supposed to be fun.  I guess that's a fail.

4 minutes ago, MarkF786 said:

Great pics, Travis.  How does it compare with the stock bridge?  Anything worth noting?

I like the coloring of the nickel plating on the Mann bridge better. Guess the stock talladega bridge is chrome. I’m a little colorblind so I never would’ve been able to tell without seeing them side by side or waiting a few years for them to corrode/tarnish. 

personally, I LOVE natural tarnish on nickel. Pitting on cheap metal I do not...

was a little surprised at the weight of the Mann bridge. Really looking forward to getting it installed on something. Altho that won’t be soon since I don’t have any current projects going. I’m anticipating this bridge adding a lot of brightness due to the mass of the brass I have a feeling it’s going to go into something with a whole lot of mahogany to balance it out. 

11 hours ago, MannMade USA said:

You got lucky... those were NOT supposed to be on sale! 
Since these are a limited run, the sale price should not have applied. 

Since it went thru, I will honor it.

The sale ends Sunday at midnight, and is valid for any in stock item  (guitars, amps, parts & accessories)

Is there a code to enter for the 20% off?

i was trying to order a trem that appears to be in stock and I’m not seeing any sale price applied. I can call tomorrow if it’s not going thru online. 

Archived