Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Drew816

If not an original Sustain Block bridge, what?

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

This is an OEM Sustainblock bridge on a custom Hamer.  The bridge has the saddles as H-I-G-H as they can go to clear the bridge pickup and maintain correct action.  There is no adjustment 'left' in the bridge, as I'm almost out of threads on the saddle screws.  Saddles are almost 30-45 degrees from the base of the bridge plate.  I need a 'spacer' to install under the Sustainblock plate to elevate it .  I'm close enough to your NH shop to bring the guitar in if you'd like to take measurements.

Bridge2.jpeg

Bridge.jpeg

Bridge3.jpeg

You’d be better off sonically using an ebony or rosewood shim. It will transfer string energy to the body better than an extra layer of steel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s exactly what Hamer did initially when facing the same issue. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, my old ‘78 sunburst actually had pickguard plastic under the bridge acting as a spacer. No clue why they used that instead of the wood spacer but it still sounded fantastic. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Never2Late said:

This is an OEM Sustainblock bridge on a custom Hamer.  The bridge has the saddles as H-I-G-H as they can go to clear the bridge pickup and maintain correct action.  There is no adjustment 'left' in the bridge, as I'm almost out of threads on the saddle screws.  Saddles are almost 30-45 degrees from the base of the bridge plate.  I need a 'spacer' to install under the Sustainblock plate to elevate it .  I'm close enough to your NH shop to bring the guitar in if you'd like to take measurements.

Bridge2.jpeg

Bridge.jpeg

Bridge3.jpeg

Although it doesn't *look* great to have the saddles tilted up like that, unless you're running into actual functional issues you're probably better off leaving it as-is.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^This and you could probably stand to lower the pickup a bit.

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some pics of the SSB from #7 0124. It has the pick guard shim that is 0.0930" thick. I am sorry for the pics but the darn thing is not cooperating this morning.

20200213_082649.jpg20200213_082705.jpg

Edited by Hbom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's weird, because mine had a slice of pizza under it, thus beginning the 'Pizza Day' Hamer era.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

That's weird, because mine had a slice of pizza under it, thus beginning the 'Pizza Day' Hamer era.

Was it still warm? Toppings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hbom said:

Here's some pics of the SSB from #0124. It has the pick guard shim that is 0.0930" thick. I am sorry for the pics but the darn thing is not cooperating this morning.

20200213_082649.jpg20200213_082705.jpg

Shouldn't it be Hamer Sunburst #7 0124?   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Shouldn't it be Hamer Sunburst #7 0124?   

My old 78 was 8 0111 and had pickguard plastic as a spacer. 
Around what serial number did they cross from 77-78?

and did they use the plastic vs wood at any particular time period or just grab what they had available...?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget the cutoff for '77s.  It might be a '78?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Shouldn't it be Hamer Sunburst #7 0124?   

I'm sure you are right. It came to me 2nd hand in that box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 9:47 PM, Never2Late said:

This is an OEM Sustainblock bridge on a custom Hamer.  The bridge has the saddles as H-I-G-H as they can go to clear the bridge pickup and maintain correct action.  There is no adjustment 'left' in the bridge, as I'm almost out of threads on the saddle screws.  Saddles are almost 30-45 degrees from the base of the bridge plate.  I need a 'spacer' to install under the Sustainblock plate to elevate it .  I'm close enough to your NH shop to bring the guitar in if you'd like to take measurements.

Bridge2.jpeg

Bridge.jpeg

Bridge3.jpeg

That would awesome!

It appears from the various photos here, that some of the bridge plates are thin (like a normal Fender hardtail) and others are fatter (like the plates I just made).

I would make any spacer plate from brass stock (like the bridge plate). I'm guessing that it should be 3/32" - 1/8" thick...

 

Edited by MannMade USA
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MannMade USA said:

....It appears from the various photos here, that some of the bridge plates are thin (like a normal Fender hardtail) and others are fatter (like the plates I just made)....

The originals were exactly that - the thin plate with a shim. The Sustain Blocks came later.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, Never2Late said:

 

Bridge2.jpeg

 

 

It seems odd to me that an original Sustain Block guitar has that issue. Has anything else been done to it? Neck re-set, maybe?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

It seems odd to me that an original Sustain Block guitar has that issue. Has anything else been done to it? Neck re-set, maybe?

It was converted to a Sustainblock.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

It seems odd to me that an original Sustain Block guitar has that issue. Has anything else been done to it? Neck re-set, maybe?

Hamer added shims to guitars that had botched neck angles new from the shop. It’s in the book. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RobB said:

Hamer added shims to guitars that had botched neck angles new from the shop. It’s in the book. 

That was prior to, and the reason for,  the Sustain Block (thicker) bass (or so I thought).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

It was converted to a Sustainblock.

Uh, no....the Guitar was converted from a Sustainblock to a Kahler surface-mount by the PO.  I converted it back to original.  When I bought my Sustainblock, I had no idea there were two different 'versions'.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hamerhead said:

It seems odd to me that an original Sustain Block guitar has that issue. Has anything else been done to it? Neck re-set, maybe?

To the best of my knowledge, the neck is OEM correct.  The pickups in it when I bought the guitar were EMGs mounted 'low'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned earlier, the easy solution would be to create a wooden shim.  If you go to the trouble of having something machined you may as well make a  new base plate using thicker stock to keep it all one piece.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Never2Late said:

Uh, no....the Guitar was converted from a Sustainblock to a Kahler surface-mount by the PO.  I converted it back to original.  When I bought my Sustainblock, I had no idea there were two different 'versions'.

I just knew that Stike had a Kahlered Blitz prior to the Sustainblock being added.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patiently waiting...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 2:53 PM, cynic said:

As mentioned earlier, the easy solution would be to create a wooden shim.  If you go to the trouble of having something machined you may as well make a  new base plate using thicker stock to keep it all one piece.

I'm working that angle with an area luthier - the current string height is 'perfect' off of the fretboard, I'm very happy with that aspect of the setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...