Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD-Rickenbacker 660-12

I've wanted one of these for a looooonnnnggggg time. Have always been looking for a used one but they are not plentiful and the prices are usually stupid. 

I bought and sold other guitars, had a Shishkov built, and still really pined for a 660-12. Never even played one but knew the small neck on the other 12 string models wasn't for me.

The Ruby color was introduced in 2012 and the announcement that they were discontinuing it came at Winter NAMM 2016. 

Two weeks ago after taking pictures of a PRS I was going to put on CL I ended up at Dave's Guitars' website. Up pops a Ruby 660-12 under "new arrivals". 

Wait, what? The color was discontinued over two years ago. Turns out that due to Rickenbacker's weird production schedule there were still some Ruby guitars on order and it took 2 plus years for them to work their way thru the system. 

Email sent. PRS traded at a value higher than I would have expected to get on CL. New guitar priced below any current used one listed on Reverb or Ebay.

I have owned Ricks in the distant past (360-6, 330-12, a couple of basses) and understand their idiosyncracies pretty well. This guitar is my dream 12 string. Shocked to find it set up perfectly out of the box. Plug it in to an AC15, throw a little compression at it, and holy shit. It's every 12 string sound I ever wanted.

Nice score, FC. I shopped a few 12vers, including (but not limited to) a Newport 12. I found my 660/12 at the Music Zoo at a decent used price and bought it. 

Check out Winfield Vintage for some some cool hardware upgrades. I replaced the stock, 6-hole tailpiece with their 12-hole version. Makes the PITA task of restringing easier. 

8 minutes ago, RobB said:

Nice score, FC. I shopped a few 12vers, including (but not limited to) a Newport 12. I found my 660/12 at the Music Zoo as a decent used price and bought it. 

Check out Winfield Vintage for some some cool hardware upgrades. I replaced the “R” tailpiece with their 12-hole version. Makes the PITA task of restringing easier. 

That's where we sourced the binding for my Shishkov. I'll see what they have for this. Thanks for reminding me. Gonna need to change out the strap buttons to start.

The wide necks play great! I had a wide neck 650 Dakota that was awesome. It was a RNR monster with the Ric minibuckers....but it had a dead spot at the 14th fret....I dealt with it for a few years cause it sustained forever everywhere else.....so I moved it on. I’d love another or a 650C.

Archived