Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I need a little help

bubs_42

Fellow forum member has a strat that he plays at every gig. The guitar is loaded with Texas Specials, and have been in the guitar since new, but its time for a new set, why because its just time. Me not being a "Strat" guy this is kind of a challenge for me, but have a feeling i'm going to be the one acquiring and installing them into the guitar. 

Is there a set you just can't go freaking wrong with? I'm ordering something by Monday, so start throwing suggestion out. 

Fender: Eric Johnson sig set

Duncan: Original Antiquities

Rio Grande: Tallboy/Tallboy RWRP/Muy Grande in the bridge

If your buddy wants to dare to be different, here's sleeper(s) you likely haven't tried yet that will knock you flat on your ass: https://www.tylerguitars.com/pickups/. I have an A2 "Hot Laura" in my ruby ESP's neck position and it is to die for. Listen to the sound clips for the A5 Hot Lauras. If I was buying an SSS set, I think I'd go with the A5s. They sound bad ass.

It all depends upon what particular Start sound he is looking for. I had Rumpel wind me a set of late 50’s pre-CBS Pickups cause I was chasing EC’s Layla tone. After a decade I changed the neck pup to a Rumpel “Miller” which is the 1954 Strat tone. Even better, just more magic there. He winds 2 different Hendrix style sets and a slew of others. Tell him what you want, tone wise and he will nail it..

Disclaimer—Aaron at Rumpel is a close friend.  I was a happy mega repeat customer first before I ever knew him, though. Anyway peruse the reviews. Dude know Fender pickups inside & out.

Another vote for Lollar Blondes.  

My absolute fave single coils are the old Bill Lawrence L280S or 290S.  Especially 280S in the neck and middle, 290s in bridge.  They are a lot harder to find since BL died a while back, but if you see them available somewhere, they're worth buying without having a guitar to put them in.  Bill's wife Becky and his kids have been keeping the company going (Wilde pickups), but I haven't tried a set since Bill hasn't been winding them.  They are inexpensive and noise free, without sounding sterile like some other noiseless SCs I've tried.

The best single coils I have ever heard or played are the Suhr MLs. They are $80 each though, so there's that. If it was my guitar, it wouldn't be a decision. As nice as his guitars are, these pickups are probably the very best thing John makes.

Archived