Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Hamer USA 91 Studio Green Quilt @ Sam Ash

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see the original ad, was that Studio being sold as a 1991 model?  IIRC, that truss rod cover design looks to me to be a later (like, 2001) style.  Also, I'm pretty sure that the size/style of the 'USA' at the end of the Hamer logo is of the type that they started using around/after 1996.

It was listed as a 91.  The listing text from google cache is included below.

Hamer - Studio GATC

In Stock at Sam Ash San Diego
View All Items At This Location

$1,199.99

This is a gorgeous made in the U.S.A 1991 Hamer Studio GATC in very good condition. Heavily quilted carved maple top on a mahogany body and a pair of Seymour Duncan JB and 59 pickups, give you a big thick sound with plenty of sustain. Some light surface marks on the back of the guitar and only a very small dent on the front of the guitar. No other dings or scratches on the front. The origi

1 hour ago, stratacus said:

It was listed as a 91.  The listing text from a google search is included below.

2 days ago · This is a gorgeous made in the U.S.A 1991 Hamer Studio GATC in very good condition. Heavily quilted carved maple top on a mahogany body ...

I think a '91 model would have been made back when they were still being called 'Sunburst Archtops', and before they were being called 'Studios'.  I had a '91 Sunburst Archtop long ago, it had a great top in ''59 Burst', but a thin neck too.  If it wasn't for the neck being too scrawny for my taste, I would have kept it and never let it go.  If the Studio at Sam Ash was a '01, then I'd think it would have a noticeably thicker neck than a '91.

11 hours ago, kizanski said:

...and it's about $300 undervalued.  That's a steal.

IMG_0973.jpg

Agree, decided to hit it,  not super flamey but a cooler top than the ones on reverb asking at double. The case I’ll figure out.     Thanks stratacus.

Wow...a gorgeous Studio.... about this Mirage1....if you throw Start single coils in there, does it sound like a Strat or does it have its own, original thing going on?

I see the Wilky has been replaced.  Not a bad thing, IMO.

My recollection is that it's strat-ish but with balls and can get much tougher.  The Pickups are Hot Rails/Cool Rails/Cool Rails.  It really has its own thing going and you'd lose more than you'd gain by putting in "regular" Strat pickups.  I miss mine, sold in a moment of weakness.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:07 PM, stratacus said:

Hamer USA 91 Studio Green Quilt @ Sam Ash  - $1200.    They also have a Mirage I without case for $750.

IMG_7005.jpg

IMG_7010.jpg

Normally, green wouldn't be my colour and I prefer subtle flames to quilt but that is one beautiful lookiing guitar!!!:wub:

Good price too...

edit...  didn't realize it would have this... bad chip

on side of next...   pending rma,   Sam Ash has

been very cool.  otherwise a nice axe. could use

a set-up.    the top is very interesting,  strong

figure in the grain around the pickups.  That

said.  between it needing a set-up etc,  proceeding

with return.

i-Nr9fCCx-M.jpg

i-WXb8Vk8-M.jpg

The Mirage I is a very interesting guitar. Once you get it set up right it never goes out of tune. The Bridge pickup is hot as hell. The Bridge and Middle pickup together add a bit of treble. The rest of the typical strat settings apply once you go middle, Middle neck and neck....I never use the blow switch, when I do in a live setting I keep forgetting it and wonder mid song what in the hell did I do to my guitar. 

The hum cancelling cool rails are really a nice touch. The guitar is a gem across the board but my only *small* complaint is that the volume knob doesn't really do much in terms of dialing back the heat on the pickups. I play mine all the time. These things cut through the mix like maniacs and I can easily cover most any style of music. I love the neck. Kinda middle of the road chunky. The 25 1/2 inch scale also makes it really punchy. 

One of the better hot strats out there in my opinion. Pairs great with a Monaco III in terms of EQ sharing for one amp during a gig. 

• 1 month later...

Archived