Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Hamer USA 91 Studio Green Quilt @ Sam Ash

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DaveL said:

that thing was a great deal at $1200...    what should we expect, the guy to sign a non compete to sell

it at pass thru bro pricing?       

Comment deleted by DUH   g

49 minutes ago, Hbom said:

No expectations.

But it might save a lot of return shipping if everyone that sold it didn't do the same thing.

"  didn't realize it would have this... bad chip on side of next...   pending rma, "

how nice hbom...  

2 hours ago, stratacus said:

This is now listed on eBay at a significantly higher price - $2750.    Listed as a '91 and as an... Investment-Grade Hamer

And a dang good one for the seller if he can move it for that price... for the next buyer...NOT!!!! 

9 minutes ago, Hbom said:

Am I missing something here Dave? Didn't you return that guitar to Sam's for not disclosing a ding on the neck?

No, sorry... I don't think I understood yours either...  I bought the mirage, and returned it.  the green one

would have loved to have,  but someone was very fast on buying that one. 

15 minutes ago, DaveL said:

No, sorry... I don't think I understood yours either...  I bought the mirage, and returned it.  the green one

would have loved to have,  but someone was very fast on buying that one. 

Ooops! Sorry! I was thinking you had gotten the green one.

I gotta learn to keep my keyboard shut until my meds kick in.

I'm not sure it sold at that eBay price - it likely sold at the shop for far less (??).  It was at Kansas City Vintage.

By the way, DEFINITELY a 2001 model.

• 2 weeks later...

Was there/were there any time/times that Hamer charged extra for quilt tops, or ANY other figuring???    My memory isn't seeing any such different pricing.  And I do recall members here who seem to be super knowledgable who have said things like Hamer's no extra cost tops are often equivalent to other maker's custom shop... blah blah...

Yes - I believe that the up charging for Premium Flame, Premium Quilt, Ultimate Flame and Ultimate Quilt started in the New Hartford era, but I’ll have to check some price lists from the archives later on.  Guitars that were stock with “Premium Flame” were only upcharged for the other 3 levels on a custom-order basis.  During the 1990s, there was a high level of Flame as standard issue (“Ultimate” level), and Quilt was always an upcharge unless the model called for it.  Prior to that, you got what they selected for you unless you specified otherwise.

Thanks to cmatthes and marveliscious!  And YIKES on the hyper-flame on the Mirage.  I've been doing a little meticulizing as to the flame tops of various makers lately.  A Gibson (premium plus top) for which they once had a $500 up charge,  has a flame count hovering between 10-15 flames per inch.  And depending how and where you count the flames on the above mirage, that is right at what you've got.  

I have been counting the area between the two humbuckers on guitars so equipped to determine the count per inch;  assuming the distance on lots of brands is going to be very close to 2 inches.

I have noticed that numbers of makers and models have a count of TEN flames per inch, on those chosen to be photographed.  That frequency of near 10/inch seems to "show up BEST" at DROOLING DISTANCE!!!

Flames per inch is a convenient metric, but I've seen plenty of tops with a wider flame that are just as visually intense. Its all so subjective, which is why all the BS surrounding PRS and their '10' tops or Gibson's 'Premium Plus' makes me laugh. I've got enough flame there to keep the house warm... and if that doesn't do it, I can always break out the GMP for the quilt!

KlKVD9L.jpg

I really need to take some better pics of my collection...

21 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

Flames per inch is a convenient metric, but I've seen plenty of tops with a wider flame that are just as visually intense. Its all so subjective, which is why all the BS surrounding PRS and their '10' tops or Gibson's 'Premium Plus' makes me laugh. I've got enough flame there to keep the house warm... and if that doesn't do it, I can always break out the GMP for the quilt!

I've never heard of flames per inch before as way of grading figured maple. For my taste I wouldn't want a high number, starts looking like cordoury.

43 minutes ago, Stike said:

I've never heard of flames per inch before as way of grading figured maple. For my taste I wouldn't want a high number, starts looking like cordoury.

I agree completely.  In fact my preference when configuring my Shishkov was for a wider flame.

Each to their own I guess!

"Flames per Inch" is really not a thing when it comes to grading maple tops.  The grading is done at the billet stage, and is judged on a number of factors, like evenness of figure across the entire piece of wood (no "dead spots"), depth, character, chatoyance, etc.

There.  I used a fancy word today.  Score!

We “regraded” the tops at Hamer.  What a vendor says is AAAA might get knocked down to AAA and so on.  We didn’t measure flame per inch or anything.  It was all subjective.  Frank and Jol used to get involved and, from what I remember, Frank U was spot on with his grading. 

Archived