Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Fender Guitars Come With Cancer Warnings

Steve Haynie

I'm voting for a general warning in the footer of the board. I feel unsafe now, although, I'm glad not owning Fender. B)

Bah, can't even see it - im always directed to the German Fender website and that doesn't have a warning. Maybe they're not harmful in Germany??

All these laws are going to kill us some time. The human being is regulating themselves to death before noticing that education would help to come over this.

Seems to me like livin' is the Number One cause of dyin', kinda like how marriage is the Number One cause of divorce.  You can crack your head from falling out of a cocoanut tree on some exotic island like Keef, or you can crack your head from falling while playing with your dog in your own backyard like Dickie Betts.  Either way and eventually, kinda like Hank Sr. used to sing, nobody gets out of this world alive.

59 minutes ago, crunchee said:

You can crack your head from falling out of a cocoanut tree on some exotic island like Keef

Hey man, Keef will be here long after the cockroaches and the nuclear blasts have obliterated everything else.  I'd say they'd make a movie about it, but he'd have to make it for himself to watch. 

8 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Hey man, Keef will be here long after the cockroaches and the nuclear blasts have obliterated everything else.  I'd say they'd make a movie about it, but he'd have to make it for himself to watch. 

I was tempted to say that Keef defies death daily just by being alive, but I don't want to tempt fate:

http://www.demko.com/dc-britneyspears.htm

P.S. Yes, the above web address is correct, and takes you to a study of Keef's life expectancy...and this is from several years ago, too!  Dunno why the web address has anything about Britney Spears, as there's nothing there about her.

22 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Guitars are just as bad as cigarettes, kids, but Mom and Dad don't mind if you play guitar. 

In my case I'd say that guitars caused me to start using cigarettes. Rock N Roll made me a smoker. 

2 hours ago, prototype-fan said:

More importantly, it may cause "reproductive harm"!

No paternity suits from groupies! 

1 hour ago, Disturber said:

In my case I'd say that guitars caused me to start using cigarettes. Rock N Roll made me a smoker. 

Lookin' cool and dangerous-- to attract groupies! 

Fender has the whole lifestyle thing worked out. 

20 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Music Man guitars do not have cancer causing chemicals in their finish, apparently. 

But, they also no longer say "MADE IN SAN LUIS OBISPO, CALIFORNIA, USA" on the back of the headstock. Now they say "California Heritage since 1974" under the California State Bear.

Basically, new 2016 laws in CA required that 95% of the wholesale value of the product be from products made in the USA. Since EBMM Likes Schaller tuners, it's not possible to label them as made in the USA anymore. G&L and Fender also now don't say made in the USA either.

Yeah, California is a bit nuts about some things.

22 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Anything and everything that is produced with ANY toxic or carcinogenic component or process is required to have that warning label. 

Or even stuff that has not been demonstrated to be carcinogenic but the argument from nature logical fallacy and confirmation bias were just too good to pass up. 

I doubt such warning labels will alter anyone's behavior. As has already been noted, the ubiquitousness of such labels has dulled our sensitivity to them. When we view everything to be toxic, warning labels are reduced to nothing more than a trivial truism, becoming entirely superfluous.

We ran into a snag with that particular warning on a load of new goods we purchased to sell in our stores.

The cancer warning was on everything from sheets to bath mats to make up.

I think we determined it was a bullshit warning required on chinese imports coming into California.

Rather than placing cancer warnings on Chinese goods, they ought to place a warning that says "This product is built like crap from inferior materials that will fall apart in a year." 

I have American made goods which are antiques and still performing like new, but everything I buy from China (which seems to be 99% of the stuff sold in stores today) falls apart. I don't know what kind of cheap metal they use, but all of their goods containing metal parts literally crumble or break, like their metal is made from cookie dough. It hardly deserves to be called "metal" at all. Apparently, the one secret American companies still haven't divulged to China is how to make steel properly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 1:04 PM, crunchee said:

I'm surprised they haven't yet.  Also surprised that nobody mentioned HPV and Michael Douglas, either:

So, who's having the seafood platter for lunch?

It’s true!   Been there - I’m over a year post treatment.  You get 7 weeks of radiation to your neck plus a weekly dose of chemo.  Just now getting my singing voice back.  

Archived