Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Neck Dimensions

Camstone

Question

Found a non-Hamer guitar on Reverb that I am interested in.  If said guitar is listed as .812 at the nut and .934 at the twelfth fret, how would such a neck shape be described? I can go home and take calipers to some of my guitars, but I thought I would throw it up here and see what all of you experts would say is a description of those dimensions.

Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

those dimensions only give you the thickness of the neck at those two points, and don't tell you anything really about the profile or shape of the neck.  A sharp 'V' neck  with those dimensions would feel totally different than a 'U' neck. The thickness is only part of the characteristic of a neck.  Please see these for more info:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

https://musikraft.com/cmspage.php?page_id=33

I sold eighteen guitars this year and rather than have the question asked, I provided neck thickness measurements at the 1st and 12th frets.  The majority all came out within a few hundredths of .84 and .93 respectively.  In other words, measurements aren't incredibly useful unless they fall in the extremes.

They provide no clues to neck shape.  Mine ran the gamut: shallow C, rounded C, slim D, soft V, etc.  

I always measure necks at the 1st 5th and 12th frets both width and depth.  I have measured and write them down  on every guitar I've owned for many years, so I pretty much know what I like.  It's very uncommon for guitar neck to add over .100 from 1st to 12th.  A guitar that starts at .817 would usually go no higher than .880  at the 12th. Going all the way up to .934 is  a pretty big change.

49 minutes ago, texwest said:

It's very uncommon for guitar neck to add over .100 from 1st to 12th.

Neither here nor there irt the op, but your common and my common have little in common.  Here are the measurements of the guitars I sold this year.  I highlighted in red those that measure .09 or more (I used .09 to exaggerate my point).  About half having the greater difference were LPs.

image.png

On 9/26/2018 at 7:27 PM, Camstone said:

Found a non-Hamer guitar on Reverb that I am interested in.  If said guitar is listed as .812 at the nut and .934 at the twelfth fret, how would such a neck shape be described? I can go home and take calipers to some of my guitars, but I thought I would throw it up here and see what all of you experts would say is a description of those dimensions.

Thanks in advance.

Very easy. Take the square root of pi times the second indices of G# and that will give you your neck shape (must be done after 6 brewskies for maximum effect).

3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Very easy. Take the square root of pi times the second indices of G# and that will give you your neck shape (must be done after 6 brewskies for maximum effect).

Thanks for the tip. It worked.

Guitar is on it's way.

On 9/28/2018 at 4:03 PM, cynic said:

Neither here nor there irt the op, but your common and my common have little in common.  Here are the measurements of the guitars I sold this year.  I highlighted in red those that measure .09 or more (I used .09 to exaggerate my point).  About half having the greater difference were LPs.

image.png

You know my results are probably because I wouldn't buy a guitar with a chunky neck that goes over .900.  So I stand corrected.

Archived