Hamer Fan Club Message Center

sub $2K USA Standard?

jim777

Are these even a thing? I think the cheapest I've seen in the last 6 months was $3.3K. I'm kind of getting an itch to get an Explorer, because even though I can play songs like 'Flirtin' with Disaster' perfectly fine on a superstrat, it's just somehow wrong, you know? :) Good Southern rock is just more fun to play on an Explorer. I  would consider just waiting on a standard but if if that window has passed into history I won't bother and will just get a Gibson.

So I guess my question is has anyone seen a Hamer Standard go for $2 grand or so in the last year?

Dean USA Zs are really nice especially 2008 and newer. They can be had $1000 and up. There is a one year made Z model, 2004, USA Pro series made by USMasters for Dean that are really nice too. Granted there are kind of rare but they are out there. This is a US Masters built Dean from 2002. Not a bad deal if it has the case, even better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dean-Usa-Time-Capsule-Z/123340651491?hash=item1cb7acfbe3:g:kiEAAOSwHupbhvVe

FWIW, I wanted a Korina Vector something fierce... but cost of admission is too high for me.

I started looking at the Japanese made offerings, and ended up with a Momose MFV.  It is an absolue killer.  I won't suggest that it achieves Hamer's obsessive levels of perfection, but fit and finish is damn near perfect... and the neck is beautiful.  Chunky C w/12" radius and Jescar frets that approximate 6105s.  Beautiful player.

Momose is sister company to Bacchus, and they have produced some nice looking Explorers as well.  Not so easy to find, but worth a look - and I have seen em in the mid 1k range.

Also, the old FujiGen stuff is really nice, and so the Greco EX800 series might serve you well in the low 1k range.  The FB below is Greco- and fantastic for a sub-1k buy.

weayARX.jpg

17 minutes ago, chromium said:

FWIW, I wanted a Korina Vector something fierce... but cost of admission is too high for me.

I started looking at the Japanese made offerings, and ended up with a Momose MFV.  It is an absolue killer.  I won't suggest that it achieves Hamer's obsessive levels of perfection, but fit and finish is damn near perfect... and the neck is beautiful.  Chunky C w/12" radius and Jescar frets that approximate 6105s.  Beautiful player.

Momose is sister company to Bacchus, and they have produced some nice looking Explorers as well.  Not so easy to find, but worth a look - and I have seen em in the mid 1k range.

Also, the old FujiGen stuff is really nice, and so the Greco EX800 series might serve you well in the low 1k range.  The FB below is Greco- and fantastic for a sub-1k buy.

weayARX.jpg

That Vee looks great, but for some reason I'm averse to gear without a recognizable name on it.  I hate that about myself.  I'm sure I miss out on some cool stuff because of that.  Good on those of you who do the research and find relatively unknown companies that make quality products.

2 hours ago, chromium said:

weayARX.jpg

I'll definitely check them out, thanks. I have two STR bases, and that's the top of the line brand from the house of Bacchus and they are simply spectacular.

2 hours ago, tommy p said:

That Vee looks great, but for some reason I'm averse to gear without a recognizable name on it.  I hate that about myself.  I'm sure I miss out on some cool stuff because of that.  Good on those of you who do the research and find relatively unknown companies that make quality products.

Had help from a couple of folks here, actually, that steered me towards the Deviser brands (Bacchus, Momose, Seventy Seven, etc.).  Another win for the HFC.

Prior to that, I probably would have assumed "Momose" was a mixed drink :D

SlC3rZI.jpg

For under 2 grand? You can always look for a Blitz with a Sustianblock, or Sustainblock tremolo. Way cool guitars. Not a Standard. But they have the look and they have superior one piece mahogany bodies. Great guitars and a bang for the buck.

I seem to recall a mahogany Standard a while back for just under $2k, but I haven’t seen a flametop under $2k in years.  I’ve seen the occasional one in the low to mid $2000s, but they’re getting rare.  There’s on in the classifieds here right now for $2500...

Get a Blitz.  They're FINE guitars, built like tanks.  Sustainblock models were available, some had nice veneer tops, but most were just solid-Mahog.

My first guitar was a mid-90s solid-Mahog Standard, clear finish.  Uncle Greg hooked me up big-time, only charged me $800 for the 'entry-level' model/specs.  There was no maple cap or anything fancy.

Archived