Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1 Strap For All or Straps for Each Guitar

Dutchman

Used to use leather straps. Currently using all Couch straps, each guitar has its own strap. The buckle adjust is essential (for me) to get the proper hang. 

ETA. Black rubber washers for Tele, Shishkov Ultimate, Gretsch 6117 and Charvel Grover Jackson RI.. Dunlop Straploks for recessed Strat receptacles. Schaller strap locks for stock Navigator and FGNs. Ric retro-fit Schaller strap lock buttons for 660/12 and 360.

I'm not a big fan of straplocks in general, but they're kind of a necessary evil when they're OEM. I H-A-T-E the way Dunlops make straps stick out from the guitar body, so the recessed ones on the Blackmore/YJM models are handy. 

I more-or-less have 'em for each guitar now, though that originally wasn't my intent...Musicians' Fiend had sturdy Perri's Canadian-made full-grain oiled leather 2 1/2" wide straps on sale for half-price (US$14.99) over the summer, so I got a handful of those in wine, for the handful of guitars I have.  They actually act and feel like real leather out of the box without being broken in, instead of the plastic feel that too many 'leather' straps have nowadays.  The only drawback to those was that they were on backorder for weeks, I guess the sale was that popular; but now that I finally have 'em, I really like 'em!

I have five straps that are all the same and have Dunlop strap-locks on them. They travel to my gigs in a canvas messenger bag. I bring five guitars to every gig and all of my guitars have the Dunlop strap button on them. Three of the same guitars go to every show and the other two usually rotate. So I don't have a strap for each of my guitars but each of the guitars that I have in my guitar rack when I perform have straps on them. I use Comfort Strapps that are elastic with neoprene pads, super comfy. My tuner is on my pedalboard.

Comfort-Strapp-single.jpg

I have straps with locking straps for every guitar and bass. Each one hangs a bit differently, and maybe I hold one at a different angle. It's just a PITA to have to adjust a strap all the time, or remember to throw one in the case. This way it's always in there.

I do not keep strings in my cases though. I usually have a spare set in my gear bag with my peg winder and cutters.  I use the same strings on all guitars so it's not really a big deal.

One strap each. Other than that I really don’t know what’s in the case except for guitar.

I like a strap for each guitar, well maybe not each one, but those that get much playtime. I really don't like those clip-on tuners. I use the Boss TU-2 pedal or just rely on the tuning stability of the guitar. Most of my instruments stay in tune well. I also like a cable for each guitar. I like the Fender 2" tweed cotton straps. The older one came with metal buckles, nowadays they use plastic buckles. Also the Fender leather strap that came with their Deluxe instruments is a nice strap.  Googling those, it seems they now have different designs.

I have a strap for every guitar, a tuner in my pedalboard and one loose using a battery plus a Snark in my "gig bag".  I keep 2-3 of each gauge single strings in my gig bag and 3-5 new packs of strings on hand at home all the time.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:57 PM, RobB said:

Currently using all Couch straps, each guitar has its own strap. The buckle adjust is essential (for me) to get the proper hang. 

Exact same :) 

First off, all my straps are leather.  I use a 2" black one that's really high quality.  Les Paul/Strat/PRS style guitars all hang as each would with all of them being comfortable.  I have separate straps for my Flying V guitars.  The traditional fifties Gibby style Vees require a little longer strap than my 1980 black Gibson.  They have reversed strap-locks for behind the neck.  So, those are specialized.  Then, I have one other 2" black that's a little longer for my ES-335 guitars and other larger body guitars.  I also have a cobra snake strap with the head attached that I use every once in a while.  Bought that in Texas in 1989.  Have another real python strap from the same guy that just flaked away.  It was cool.

So, my answer is no.  I have straps for specific sizes and styles of guitars.  Most are black.

After using checkerboard Hamer straps for the 80s and 90s, I retired my collection of those when I converted to Couch straps. Still keep a Hamer with my Thunderbolt and Checkerboard Standard, but the Couch stuff is perfect for me, as they are incredibly well made, non-slip, come in a ton of great options and are long enough for me, unlike 90% of the other straps out there (I don’t play at “Jazz height”).   Cool customer service and legit indie vibe too.

i have way too many of them around, and confession time:  I once had a guitar built and finished around a strap.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:28 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Also strap locks for each, a bottle of spray polish, application rag, buffing rag, microfiber cloth, nut sauce, string cleaner, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, string winder, truss rod wrench, fret files, nut slotting files, crazy glue, deoxit, and an MRE in each case.

I like that you have everything, but why not keep all of that stuff in a gig bag and keep the truss rod wrench in the guitar case? That's a lot of stuff in to put in a guitar case. MRE? Meal ready to eat? I guess you're anticipating not eating or not going to eat before your shows or you're expecting a disaster or something?

Guitar George

I have Schallers and interchange Levys on most of my guitars and basses, but 2 or three of my Hamers I left the Dunlaps and have dedicated Levys straps for those.  I thought my Standard deserved its own Levys strap, so that happened...  It complicates matters when some of the strap locks are reversed, like on my Standard, Gibson Explorer, Blitz bass, Thunderbird or FBIV...  So bottom line, I don’t have a strap for every guitar or bass, but have too many straps and, and probably in many womens’ eyes (e.g., my wife’s eyes) too many guitars.  But I digress.  And I’m at the beach, and a bit buzzed.  So there’s that.

1 hour ago, Cary said:

But I digress.  And I’m at the beach, and a bit buzzed.  So there’s that.

Like that's a BAD thing!!

2 hours ago, Cary said:

And I’m at the beach, and a bit buzzed.  So there’s that. 

Stay away from eBay and Reverb! 

Some cases have straps in them that go with a specific guitar or bass.  Some cases do not have a strap in them.  There are more instruments than straps, so I can still justify another strap when something magnificent and fun comes along. 

Archived