Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Interesting CL Hamer

I'm leaning that way too, but . . . . .

I could see if there was a completely miss-matched neck and body wood - except that that neck and body appear to be the same wood type or they did a dead, balls on accurate stain match to hide the difference?

Then again, they could both just be great pieces of HOG and those would match up.

Meh - if I gotta bet - the skeptic in me goes back to dumpster, Franken-Hamer.

My .01 cent worth (and you were just overcharged).  ;) 

I have a bit of info on this guitar and have held it/played it.    I live about 10 minutes from the shop that is selling it and the seller is a good guy. The guitar was employee built with Hamer’s approval using Hamer parts. I believe the knobs are from a discontinued model of something (New Hartford had a rather large room of obsolete parts they kept around in case a warranty claim came in).  Did Hamer make anything in the 80s with those knobs?  It has a serial number but I can’t remember what it is .  I spoke to the employee who built it and there is a story about the neck being a cancelled order and it hung around the shop for a long time.  The employee approached Frank U a few times about it and was refused.  I guess he didn’t give up and caught Frank on a good day and he allowed the build on the condition the instrument was used a test piece for a new finish process (we did that from time to time but usually just on scrap pieces of flamed maple).  This is a long time employee, senior builder, etc.  I can understand the skepticism given the crap that shows up in stores around here.   This particular guitar isn’t my cup of tea but it feels, plays, smells like it should.  I don’t think that has a case because it won’t fit in a typical double cutaway case given the headstock shape.

What Bob said.  It’s legit, but not released into the wild before the Hamer Shop closed.  There are a few things like that out there, and the guy (like Mike and Bob) came out to New Hartford from Arlington Heights and is a talented builder and great guy.

It definitely looks like a real hamer, but is it actually some fancy prototype, or just a custom order for someone local? It's cool at all, but not that much more cool than a regular FM Special.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

It definitely looks like a real hamer, but is it actually some fancy prototype, or just a custom order for someone local? It's cool at all, but not that much more cool than a regular FM Special.

Built by and (originally) for a Hamer guy who is also a member here.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:40 AM, Dutchman said:

I tried my best to read the truss rod cover... it looks to start with a script L, the string messes up the rest...

Sellers name is Drew and the truss rod cover says "Studio"... I think the guitar is pretty cool myself, as someone stated "different color pickup rings and Pickups with top hat knobs" and it would be good to go... not sure if he's willing to ship though 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Archived