Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bigsby B5 Shim as seen on Hamer Monaco 3

I have been kicking around the idea of putting a Bigsby b5 on my Monaco Elite. *Gasp* I know there is the B7 version with a Vibramate But I would prefer to do this with a b5 and a shim that goes under the bigsby itself so that it is connected to the body like a Monaco 3. I guess the question begs; Is there any place that carries this particular shim hamer made? I LOVE the B5 on my monaco 3 and I have the best tech in town so tuning stability is never an issue. I guess I'm looking for advice as well...I know conceptually it probably makes more sense to do the B7 but man alive I prefer the look of the b5. Your 2 centavos is most welcome! 

I did the CAD drawing for that and probably have the DXF file somewhere.    A decent machine shop should be able to make it (the originals were made by Walter B in the machine shop in the Ovation Engineering department).

PM me 

On 10/2/2018 at 10:17 AM, guitarmonk said:

I have been kicking around the idea of putting a Bigsby b5 on my Monaco Elite. *Gasp* I know there is the B7 version with a Vibramate But I would prefer to do this with a b5 and a shim that goes under the bigsby itself so that it is connected to the body like a Monaco 3. I guess the question begs; Is there any place that carries this particular shim hamer made? I LOVE the B5 on my monaco 3 and I have the best tech in town so tuning stability is never an issue. I guess I'm looking for advice as well...I know conceptually it probably makes more sense to do the B7 but man alive I prefer the look of the b5. Your 2 centavos is most welcome! 

I’d go with the Vibramate setup unless you’re absolutely sure you want to drill holes in the top of your ME. If you find you don’t care for the vibrato, you can safely return the guitar to stock

9 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

My old XP machine wouldn’t boot.  Luckily I had a paper copy.  We usually just drew the actual part and machined it.  The shim was drawn in 1999.   I added the title block, etc much later.

CF80CD89-B452-4B98-B19A-B350487F1F2C.jpeg

Not that I'd ever have need of this, but thanks for posting this. I tend to enjoy this kind of ephemera. 

Rob *sigh*  I know....I'm ok with making it permanent although it probably would be the wisest to give it a whirl on the temporary side first. I'm sure they are both stable and usable once you get it set up correctly. Mine give me absolutely no tuning problems whatsoever but it does take just a bit of tweaking on the front end. 

Archived