Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Interview with author of "The Listener's Guide to Cheap Trick"

Dana_V

The Guitar Radio Show podcast has posted a new interview with Robert Lawson, author of Still Competition: The Listener's Guide to Cheap Trick. In the interview he mentions the brothers Matthes and The Book, and talks about how he went to great lengths to get the details of the guitars right – and how it drives him nuts when a Hamer Standard is referred to as a Gibson Explorer.

http://guitarradioshow.com/episode-211-author-robert-lawson-still-competition-listeners-guide-to-cheap-trick/

1 minute ago, RobB said:

What’s the deal with the books title? Is it a play in words or a copyright thing? 

I wondered about that myself. Obviously it's a play on the CT song "Stiff Competition," but I'm not really sure what "still competition" means. Something that remains a competition? A competition that isn't moving? Don't know.  I'm gonna order the book, so maybe it will all become clear after I read it.

On 10/4/2018 at 10:03 AM, Dana_V said:

I wondered about that myself. Obviously it's a play on the CT song "Stiff Competition," but I'm not really sure what "still competition" means. Something that remains a competition? A competition that isn't moving? Don't know.  I'm gonna order the book, so maybe it will all become clear after I read it.

I asked him, and he said he thinks book titles about bands that just use a song or album title are lazy.  He changed it to "still" because they are still in the game releasing albums and playing live, so they're competition for anyone else out there.

I'm the same about someone calling a Standard an Explorer.  I corrected the guy running a Molly Hatchet fan page a couple of times and now he gets it right.

Archived