Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Do you bring your Hamers on tour?

Do you bring your expensive guitars on tour? I'm not talking about high budget tours with hired security to watch over the bus/trailer, but typical low budget "stuff everything in the van" tours. I hear about bands having their gear stolen all the time. One thing is to lose your Boss pedals, but your prized custom guitar is a tad more difficult to buy back. I bring my Hamer if I do local shows or if the gear is locked inside overnight. I'm sceptical to leave stuff in a parked van or trailer. If I have to do that, I bring cheaper guitars. What are your routines?

Well I don't tour, but I understand what your asking. We have one local place that we go in and set up at 11am and just leave our stuff setup all day. I take one guitar for setup and it comes home with me. The other guitar player, leaves everything but I can't bring myself to do it. 

I bring my Hamer's when we gig. I don't tour, but we do play out of town once in a while. Usually two guitar, one amp and the pedal board. I never leave the guitars un attended.

no, the ones I did,  I brought a G&L L-1000  instead of a Gibson Thunderbird...   #1  a thunderbird case is huge, and

really unwieldy.  This was before t-birds were reissued in various iterations so there was a value issue too.     

We always took our guitars in the hotel room. or  if we were crashing with people.           

6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

It depended on if I was touring Germany or Sudan.

Didn’t know you are touring Germany. And especially Sudan. B)

ETA: on the topic, I had my concerns in spring deciding on which guitar to be taken to the clinic. Eventually took the Scheithauer Charlie Christian that had gained quite some recognition.

It turned out that others used the platform to present their wealth in guitars too. 

On the handful of things Iv'e done that could be called a tour, I'd bring whatever I wanted. The guitar always is with me, never in a car. It's with me in the restaurant, in the hotel, etc. You can always play some backline amp, worst comes to worst.

Touring... I wish. 😆

That said, I ALWAYS have a Hamer (or 3) on stage when we gig locally.

9-22 Axes.jpg

02-10 Axes.jpg

I don't "tour" but do play out 4 to 6 times a month and usually bring 4 or 5 guitars including 1 to 4 Hamers.

Guitars stay with me and are never left in a vehicle. I do have a Heritage Music Insurance policy, but would hope to never have to use it as many of my Hamers are one of a kind and can't be replaced.

DSCN0709 (768x1024).jpg

5 hours ago, Camstone said:

I don't "tour" but do play out 4 to 6 times a month and usually bring 4 or 5 guitars including 1 to 4 Hamers.

Guitars stay with me and are never left in a vehicle. I do have a Heritage Music Insurance policy, but would hope to never have to use it as many of my Hamers are one of a kind and can't be replaced.

DSCN0709 (768x1024).jpg

Those are all incredible!

I don't tour, so I leave my guitars on guitar stands in my driveway overnight. This way, if they get stolen, I can feel just like someone who tours and gets his gear stolen. It's the closest I'll ever come to being a rock star. 

I never toured, but when I was gigging a lot I took my best guitars...and they look like it. My Hamers made me play better. And jams and the like now...the Shishkov comes along nearly every time. They never leave my sight, unless I go to the bathroom, and then my wife watches them.

Gigging was the same way. Eyes on gear 100% of the time for me and my stuff.

If I was touring I’d take the best ...cause for me at least, those tools make me play better.

The good stuff always stays in the hotel room, never anywhere else.

I used to bring 'em ("back in the good ole days")

And...unfortunately some of them, well, let's just say they look it, too. Now, I have a couple non-Hamers I play regularly (G&L and a Gibby)

I only 'keep an eye' on the Gibby. I've never been worried about someone walking off with a Hamer or a G&L ...maybe I should have been?

• 10 months later...

I didn't follow up on this post. Sorry about that, but thanks for the input. From what I read, you keep expensive stuff within eye sight. To me, that's too much work. Between drinking beers with the (one or two) fans and selling merch, I don't see how that is possible. We're doing a short tour (six gigs) in November, and I'm not sure what to bring.  The venues are by contract responsible for arranging a safe place to park. Not that I trust that one bit. I'll probably end up bringing a BC Rich mockingbird and an Edwards LP,  but it would be so much better with the Hamer standard and the double neck. Looking at ebay I'm even hesitant to bring the Gibson the V (bought from from someone on this forum  a while back). Guitars are easy to carry. If my amp rack is stolen, I'll at least give some credit to the thieving bastard; It's heavy as shit.

It doesn't look like we're passing through Gothenburg. That seems to be THE city in Europe where bands lose their stuff.

https://www.thelocal.com/20180406/italian-bands-live-rig-and-one-of-a-kind-instruments-stolen-in-gothenburg

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=34600

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/black_mountain_robbed_in_sweden

On 10/5/2018 at 6:15 PM, Camstone said:

DSCN0709 (768x1024).jpg

I just now saw this. Is it the angle or is your junior thicker than standard...?

Back when I was touring I always took my guitars with me. As did the other musicians. The drummer would take his sticks. The vocal mic’s would go in a case, drum/amp mic’s would stay set up. We’d take all of that back to the motel and sleep until it was time for the the show. Rock the house tear down drive all night set up and repeat the above. We didn’t eat much. 

Never toured, but for gigs around town,  I played my Hamers. 

My acoustic is actually much more expensive than my hamer, play that out too. 

Archived