Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
lord nelson

Do you bring your Hamers on tour?

Posted (edited)

I didn't follow up on this post. Sorry about that, but thanks for the input. From what I read, you keep expensive stuff within eye sight. To me, that's too much work. Between drinking beers with the (one or two) fans and selling merch, I don't see how that is possible. We're doing a short tour (six gigs) in November, and I'm not sure what to bring.  The venues are by contract responsible for arranging a safe place to park. Not that I trust that one bit. I'll probably end up bringing a BC Rich mockingbird and an Edwards LP,  but it would be so much better with the Hamer standard and the double neck. Looking at ebay I'm even hesitant to bring the Gibson the V (bought from from someone on this forum  a while back). Guitars are easy to carry. If my amp rack is stolen, I'll at least give some credit to the thieving bastard; It's heavy as shit.

It doesn't look like we're passing through Gothenburg. That seems to be THE city in Europe where bands lose their stuff.

https://www.thelocal.com/20180406/italian-bands-live-rig-and-one-of-a-kind-instruments-stolen-in-gothenburg

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=34600

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/black_mountain_robbed_in_sweden

Edited by lord nelson

On 10/5/2018 at 6:15 PM, Camstone said:

I don't "tour" but do play out 4 to 6 times a month and usually bring 4 or 5 guitars including 1 to 4 Hamers.

Guitars stay with me and are never left in a vehicle. I do have a Heritage Music Insurance policy, but would hope to never have to use it as many of my Hamers are one of a kind and can't be replaced.

DSCN0709 (768x1024).jpg

I just now saw this. Is it the angle or is your junior thicker than standard...?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Back when I was touring I always took my guitars with me. As did the other musicians. The drummer would take his sticks. The vocal mic’s would go in a case, drum/amp mic’s would stay set up. We’d take all of that back to the motel and sleep until it was time for the the show. Rock the house tear down drive all night set up and repeat the above. We didn’t eat much. 

Edited by Dutchman
  • Like 1

Never toured, but for gigs around town,  I played my Hamers. 

My acoustic is actually much more expensive than my hamer, play that out too. 

8 hours ago, Travis said:

I just now saw this. Is it the angle or is your junior thicker than standard...?

I've never owned a Hamer Junior other than this one, so I don't know if it's thicker than a Junior that doesn't have a maple cap on it. You are right, from that angle it does look thicker than the Special LE on the other end of the rack. I'll pull it out and measure.

Posted (edited)

The only tours I seem to do these days are the Tour de Publix and the Tour de Kroger.

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Haha 2

I’ve done 200 nights a year for 19 years, mostly without a tech. As stated earlier, best to always have a hand on it, but...

Two guitars cases bike chained through an amp handle has been enough of a deterrent that they’ve never walked off. 🤘😎

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Two guitars cases bike chained through an amp handle has been enough of a deterrent that they’ve never walked off. 🤘😎

Now that's a good idea! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Camstone said:

I'll pull it out and measure.

Haven’t we all done that at least once...?

• Haha 4

On October 5, 2018 at 7:17 AM, gorch said:

Didn’t know you are touring Germany. And especially Sudan. B)

ETA: on the topic, I had my concerns in spring deciding on which guitar to be taken to the clinic. Eventually took the Scheithauer Charlie Christian that had gained quite some recognition.

When I took my guitar to the clinic, the doctor asked why I needed to bring a guitar with me just to get hemmeroids lasered. 

• Haha 1

On October 5, 2018 at 10:48 AM, diablo175 said:

In a Peggy Bundy sort of way. ;)

I think Peggy Bundy is kind of hot. In a rack full of Hamers sort of way.

On October 6, 2018 at 2:00 PM, gtrdaddy said:

When you start, you can hire my roadies and my tech. I laid them off after "Gtrdaddy! Africa 2017." Sudan was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm out.

I was at that concert. I was the guy crowd-surfing on a camel. 

• Haha 2