Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Atlanta Rhythm Section--Willie's latest book

LO-ARS cover.jpg

THE ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION: The Authorized History is now in release.

Hardback, 258 pages, over 120 photos. Foreword by Gloria Buie.

While I'm gratified at the number of large retail establishments where it's been placed, I thunk I'd offer signed copies "direct from author" to HFC members. Please e-mail me @ [email protected] for information. Thanks in advance.

I recently revisited Red Tape, "Another Man's Woman" in particular. IMO that's as close as the ARS gets (on this version as well as a live version on Are You Ready) to a stereotypical 'Southern Rock' style of song that starts in one tempo then shifts gears to a more rapid pace, with guitars comin' at ya from all directions ("Freebird", "Green Grass and High Tides", "Highway Song", etc.). But this one has a jaw-dropping bass solo, and the trade-off guitar licks at the outro sound like two slide guitars blazing away.

And I had to get Barry to confirm that while J.R. Cobb was playing slide, Bailey wasn't. Jeezus...

This is beyond cool. I need a copy. I love ARS and am still trying to find a cd or MP3 version of Are You Ready? to buy.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Around 1978 I saw them with Crack the Sky opening.  It was a great show.  

Crack the Sky use to open for everybody back then. First time I saw a Hamer being played live. 

1 hour ago, benjammin308 said:

I saw them open for somebody at the old Mecca arena in Milwaukee.  It might have been Styx in 1980.

I saw them for about 10 minutes before they got booed off the stage. They had the misfortune of a very odd pairing that night as they opened for Alice Cooper. The only other odder pairing was in 76 when Blackfoot opened up for Roxy Music. The crowd was aghast at that. I loved it. 

I downloaded their version of Outside Woman Blues off “Rock and Roll Alternative”. I love the dueling solos on that song. They respect the Cream version yet make it their own. Love it.

speaking of odd pairings, on 25 Sep 1981 I saw Thorogood open for the Stones at JFK Stadium in Philly. Journey played after GT in pink coveralls and leopard skin jumpsuits. They got booed off the stage and this was at the height of their popularity. They just didn’t fit between the black leather of GT and the Dirty ass Stones.

Odder pairing: Fleetwood Mac and Kiss at the Academy of Music in NYC on January 26, 1974. Fleetwood Mac all got sick and the roadies tried to do the show. It was canceled and money returned. John Shere (?) was the promoter. One of my roommates, quarterback on our college football team (I was the offensive tackle) hit John Shere in the head, on stage as he was announcing the cancellation, with a roll of toilet paper from half way up in the audience. Good times. Good times.

It was before my time, but the oddest pairing I've heard of was the Jimi Hendrix Experience opening for the Monkees.  I'd love to hear about it from someone who was there.

But this doesn't have much to do with ARS or Willie's book, which looks interesting.

Preview snippet: Perhaps the oddest gig the ARS did was in the mid-'70s in Atlanta as part of a Howdy Doody revival appearance by Buffalo Bob Smith. Tom Waits appeared as well. Weird...

9 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Odder pairing: Fleetwood Mac and K John Shere (?) was the promoter. One of my roommates, quarterback on our college football team (I was the offensive tackle) hit John Shere in the head, on stage as he was announcing the cancellation, with a roll of toilet paper from half way up in the audience. Good times. Good times.

John Shere Presents was a huge promoter in the North East back in the day. I did occasional concert security work back then and his name was on the paychecks. Good times indeed.

11 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

It was before my time, but the oddest pairing I've heard of was the Jimi Hendrix Experience opening for the Monkees.  I'd love to hear about it from someone who was there.

But this doesn't have much to do with ARS or Willie's book, which looks interesting.

I worked with a guy that saw Hendrix open for the Monkees at the Col Ballroom in Davenport, IA.  Said he felt pretty stupid a year or so afterwards knowing he had booed Hendrix 'cause he was there to see the Monkees...

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn open for Huey Lewis and the News.  That was as weird of a pairing as I can remember right now.

As for the Atlanta Rhythm Section, in 1979 or early 1980 I was bagging groceries at Jewel in Moline IL, and saw a tour bus parked outside.  Spotted two guys checking out, one wearing a ARS tour jacket,  booked over, bagged their groceries, and took them out to their bus.  They gave me a buck, which I wasn't supposed to accept, but I did anyway - LOL.

12 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

A friend saw Hendrix open for The Monkees.  It might have been in Nashville.  He knew what and who he was seeing.  Today he smiles really wide when he talks about it. 

Micky Dolenz often wears a Jimi Hendrix shirt at his shows. 

I must confess I'm not really up on ARS, despite living here. Didn't J.E. Garnett leave the Swimming Pool Qs to play with ARS? I only know this 'cos I played with Anne Boston after she left the Qs. I do remember as a kid hearing "Spooky" on the radio all the time and thinking the guitars were rippin'.

Oh, odd pairings. My old band (we sounded like Let's Active mostly) once opened for The Descendents.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

Preview snippet: Perhaps the oddest gig the ARS did was in the mid-'70s in Atlanta as part of a Howdy Doody revival appearance by Buffalo Bob Smith. Tom Waits appeared as well. Weird...

"If I told them once, I told them a hundred times.  Put Spinal Tap first, puppet show last."  Proof once again that there is nothing in that movie that didn't happen in real life.

• 2 weeks later...

In Willie’s honor I just picked up a dual CD containing both Dog Days and Red Tape....YOWZA! Great songs and playing. I got hip to ARS BITD through RNR Alternative and Champagne Jam....these two “hitless” early albums are fantastic. 

Update: Went to the Eufaula AL area today and delivered a copy to Gloria Buie---Buddy's widow and business manager for Studio One and the Buie-Geller Organization all those years ago. She was responsible for the book's foreword, and is a smart and gracious lady.

Gloria Buie w- book.JPG

Archived