Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I'm trying out a Fractal AX8

polara

4 hours ago, The Shark said:

The Headrush, in my opinion, is so much easier to program.  I had Helix and AX8.  I just find setting up scenes and setlists simpler and creating rigs is just a breeze with the drag and drop touch screen.  I'm not sure it sounds any better than the other two (that's totally subjective), but it does everything I need and much more.  I have it set to a "Hybrid Mode" with four preset rigs and four footswitch functions and the pedal for each rig.  You can also click one button and find all the other amps, IR's, cabs and effects in any of the four rigs on the fly.  I have mirror scenes for single coil guitars and for humbucker guitars.  The videos on YouTube are all I've ever used.

Yeah, the Headrush and the Helix both look easier to use. They key difference is that a local guy was selling the AX8 in the box, with an hour on it, because he was so frustrated with it, for $900. I was open to the Fractal, Helix, Headrush, or GT1000. I think they all get the job done. That having been said, I feel pretty comfortable with the Fractal now.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, polara said:

Yeah, the Headrush and the Helix both look easier to use. They key difference is that a local guy was selling the AX8 in the box, with an hour on it, because he was so frustrated with it, for $900. I was open to the Fractal, Helix, Headrush, or GT1000. I think they all get the job done. That having been said, I feel pretty comfortable with the Fractal now.

I think the realization for me was that any of these units can take the place of everything that came before, when it comes to playing live.  It started with the A/DA MP-1.

One of my favorite rigs was the MP-1, the Alesis Quadraverb, a tube Mcintosh 275 stereo amp, and two Mesa Boogie 2x12 slanted cabs like Steve Lukather used to play.  I controlled it all with a Lake Butler Sound Mitigator.  It was a cutting edge midi pedal made here in Orlando.  I was the first dealer.  The beginning of what was to come!

16 hours ago, svl said:

The new Axe III has an MP-1 in it.  Supposed to be pretty stellar.

That's nice, but it's not real tube tone or sounds as badass as the 2 ADA Depot 3TM modded MP-1 preamps that I own. That 3TM mod preamp just crushes on anything out there and I'm glad that I still have mine. That being said, I love my Fractal Audio FX-8 floor effects processor!

Guitar George

Archived