Hamer Fan Club Message Center

In ear monitors

scottcald

For those using them, do. you find it's an everyone does it or no one does it type of thing?   Curious as we're trying to get everyone on them and the bassist doesn't seem interested to even try it out.  

Thanks for all thoughts or ideas. 

Yeah, I hate 'em, too. Totally kills the live vibe. Drummer, bass player and the singer used them. Me and the other guitar player used our amps and powered floor monitors with personal mixers.

I use them, but they are far from plug and play as venue characteristics, stage size and proximity to other sound sources can impact their effectiveness. As mentioned above - it really needs to be an “all-in” with compliance on volume and then having the right resources to ensure their performance quality, versus off a of an ipad- as many now do, for example. I prefer not using them, but do- trying to preserve what hearing I have left. 

2 hours ago, PFunk said:

I use them, but they are far from plug and play as venue characteristics, stage size and proximity to other sound sources can impact their effectiveness. As mentioned above - it really needs to be an “all-in” with compliance on volume and then having the right resources to ensure their performance quality, versus off a of an ipad- as many now do, for example. I prefer not using them, but do- trying to preserve what hearing I have left. 

Are you saying you don't think they're useful if you don't have a dedicated person running monitors for you?

I have a lot of experience with both “everybody has in-ears” and combinations. 

My favorite hybrid situation is with a touring Irish band that uses a wireless mixer that is helmed by the sound guy for FOH, but monitors are all mixed by band members using an app on our phones or iPad. The singer/ bandleader has in-ears and everyone else has either in -ears, or a wedge that they control themselves. Great for keeping volume down onstage, and your own monitors in control.

Soooooo- What is your mixer setup? Do you mic everything? Is volume a high priority? What does your bass player need in his wedge? Just a vocal mix? That’s easy to transition to having some members use, and some not.

Hamerhead’s setup seemed interesting. Especially if the bass player wants a band mix, and a “more me” channel to boost or cut. What are you using?

I've not tried them.  Probably won't.  I like a live sound on stage.  We try to replicate our stage sound out front.  We've learned to play at a volume on stage that doesn't overtake the FOH.  And we don't play gigs that we're too "big" for.  No more weddings...

8 hours ago, scottcald said:

Are you saying you don't think they're useful if you don't have a dedicated person running monitors for you?

In my instance, there are seven other instruments so when adjustments are needed, an extra set of hands at times would be nice versus trying to tweak from an ipad screen while on the fly- but as with anything one learns to become more proficient with what they have. After a period of less than stellar experiences with iems, getting a high quality set of in ears ( fabricated from audiologist-taken impressions) has helped out substantially. Recent experiences have been much better for this former “wedge guy.” 

3 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

I have a lot of experience with both “everybody has in-ears” and combinations. 

My favorite hybrid situation is with a touring Irish band that uses a wireless mixer that is helmed by the sound guy for FOH, but monitors are all mixed by band members using an app on our phones or iPad. The singer/ bandleader has in-ears and everyone else has either in -ears, or a wedge that they control themselves. Great for keeping volume down onstage, and your own monitors in control.

Soooooo- What is your mixer setup? Do you mic everything? Is volume a high priority? What does your bass player need in his wedge? Just a vocal mix? That’s easy to transition to having some members use, and some not.

Hamerhead’s setup seemed interesting. Especially if the bass player wants a band mix, and a “more me” channel to boost or cut. What are you using?

Thanks for your input, Geoff.  We're using a Behringer XR18 mixer.  Currently, in rehearsals our drummer has in ears and our other guitar player/main singer. They both use the apps to control their own mixes.   3 vocal mics, kick and 2 over the kit, 2 guitars and bass run direct, but the bassist uses an amp.  

I have an in ear unit as well, but since I'm dealing with the small speakers for the bass player's benefit, I don't wear them at rehearsal.  He seems a little tech adverse. So, I have to make any adjustments to the speakers in the room.   No gigs yet to try this all out.  In a small place that we'd have to bring PA, it'd be my gear for that, which is why I was pushing folks to go in ear, so I wouldn't have to deal with fiddling with their monitors.  A good side benefit would be lower stage volume.  

2 hours ago, PFunk said:

In my instance, there are seven other instruments so when adjustments are needed, an extra set of hands at times would be nice versus trying to tweak from an ipad screen while on the fly- but as with anything one learns to become more proficient with what they have. After a period of less than stellar experiences with iems, getting a high quality set of in ears ( fabricated from audiologist-taken impressions) has helped out substantially. Recent experiences have been much better for this former “wedge guy.” 

I haven't been fitted at least as yet, but I'm aware the extra benefit.  I think also simply setting up something small for the bass player and making him take control of it is the next step.  

We each had one of these:

index.jpg

It allowed each of us to have full control over the entire mix whether thru in-ears or monitors. Pricey but effective.

We use 'em and they helped immensely with being able to zero in on what needed to be in our respective mixes. Our drummer and bassist don't use 'em but for whatever reason, they can get away with simple floor wedges. Either my hearing is FUBAR or theirs is stellar 'cause I couldn't  make due with a traditional wedge. Too much competing /cancelling out of frequencies.

3 hours ago, hamerhead said:

index.jpg

It allowed each of us to have full control over the entire mix whether thru in-ears or monitors. Pricey but effective.

I've read good things about them, but two of the guys don't have much disposable income to throw at these.  The drummer got a wired unit to allow the other guitarist to have the wireless in ears. 

I just started using in-ears because I began playing at church and we can't have amps on stage. I usually have one in my left ear and leave the right one out to hear the PA.  We all have our own mix that we can control via an app on our phones or iPads. The biggest adjustment for me has been playing along with a click and tracks......especially the guide voice.

On 10/11/2018 at 4:29 PM, hamerhead said:

index.jpg

Intriguing- based of some incremental features. Thanks

Archived