Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone tried P-rails in a Newport? (Or just tried P-rails?)

Disturber

As I wrote: has anyone here tried to mount P-rails in a Newport? And, was it satisfying?

Also, anyone have an opinion on P-rails in general. Are they sounding good as both humbuckers and P90's?

Thanks!

I had a set in something.....can't remember what.....but remember they were just kinda 'meh' in all ways. I think the single coil sounded the best, followed by passable P90 and humbucker sounds. It's a great idea, but underwhelmingly executed, IMO. I know some guys love 'em, but they didn't blow my dress up as much as I'd hoped.

Yep, @Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame and I put them in his B-Way. Funny, but my opinion is the opposite of hamerhead's and sixesandsevens's. IMHO the P-90 settings sound fantastic and very familiar if you're used to the P-90s Hamer used. The HB settings also sound great, very fat and warm. The rail settings were my least favorite but still useful when you need a Swiss Army knife-type of guitar. It's important to note that we installed them reversed (i.e. rails-out). They way I look at it the rails are gravy on their own but essential for the HB tones. Here's a clip I recorded where I run through the settings: 

Nice playing - sounds great, especially the Josie solo! 

I have some in a custom made Winger guitar with the tripleshot pickup rings and like them enough to not worry about switching pickups anymore. I like the wide variety of sounds.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS1BK--seymour-duncan-ts-1-triple-shot-mounting-ring?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3248788402&rkg_id=0&product_id=TS1BK&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping - Core - Guitars&adgroup=Guitars - Guitar Accessories&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=226299461162&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2h5rGtL7EViT8cypol2tQT-_WCGJeOkAAuV3n879yQOUkIhRRX7eZuhoColMQAvD_BwE

The pickup rings are cool for use on other regular 4 wire pickups too.

I've got P-Rails that came in my Benford 'Tele/Strat', and I like em in this guitar...two and a half years on since I got it, and I still enjoy using it:

My opinion of them is very similar to what burningyen has already stated...I don't use the single coil 'Rail' side that much, as both the P-90 and HB setting sound pretty good, the 'Rail' side isn't bad, but it doesn't shine like the other two settings do.  I tend to use the HB  setting most often, and the P-90 side is a close second, it just depends on what I'm playing and what mood I'm in.  I also A/B'd the P-Rail guitar with my P-90-equipped Tele/Cabronita (Lollar in the bridge, TysonTone in the neck), the P-Rail isn't bad as a 'Swiss-knife' kind of pickup like burningyen said already, but the Lollar/TysonTone P-90s are noticeably better sounding to me, more detailed, more lively, and more 'organic' sounding; though to be fair, the P-Rails are a bit compromised due to the 3-in-1 design, IMO.  It just depends on what your needs are and how you want to use the pickups and/or your guitar.

Archived