Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw Glenn Hughes - London Oct 15th ‘18

DBraz

As a friend of mine is a huge Glenn Hughes fan I often tag along when he’s playing in London last night being the latest.

He was received by a packed crowd in Camden Town and played material almost exclusively from his Deep Purple era albums.  Whilst not the classic Purple era this material has a cult following with Hughes fans and the maturing crowd were quite excitable.

Hughes was his extravagant self, full of screams and diva Vocal tricks.  The band was excellent and oozed a 70’s vibe from not only their tone but the way they looked.  It was like being in a time warp.

All the classics were played - Stormbringer, Gettin’ Tighter, You keep Moving, Burn etc to real appreciation and we got a real treat for the encore when Hughes introduced his “brother Joseph” for a few songs whilst a crew member hurried on a Fender combo.

Brother Joseph being Joe Bonamassa. 

Joe was in his green jacket with Union Jack flags, GB patch and baseball cap and played an old Strat.  He absolutely nailed Mistreated with some awesome soloing and jammed along merrily to Highway Star before the show completed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mt6amsdhlGs

67E596DC-DD8B-408E-B636-44E8C4C6A0AC.jpeg

69ABA41A-4D62-4B01-BE5B-7EF1E69CD772.jpeg

Glenn is such a weird human being. When all other 1970's musicians/artists lose it more and more the older they get, Glenn just gets better and better. I don't get it. How is it possible?

He sings better, he seems way more focused within the last 10-15 years, he looks cooler than ever, his material (for the most part) has been better. At least the Black Country Communion albums, which I think are all absolutely awesome.

In the 90's I used to think he was a washed out has been. He toured with musicians I know, and the stories were weird. 

It seems he stopped drinking and drugging around 2003. I suspect that it's what made the turning point for him.

From me there is just 100% total respect for the guy. 

edit; If I can spark that kind of energy at 67, then I know I've lived a good life. 

1 hour ago, Disturber said:

In the 90's I used to think he was a washed out has been. He toured with musicians I know, and the stories were weird. 

It seems he stopped drinking and drugging around 2003. I suspect that it's what made the turning point for him.

From me there is just 100% total respect for the guy. 

I think in the 90’s he was off the rails and was a shadow of his best as you pointed out.

He’s lucky though.  Some don’t come back from the abyss.  

I will see him in a few weeks in Germany (Worpswede, which is near Bremen, cool location, saw Doyle Bramhall II there last year), unfortunately Bonamassa will not be there I guess. Fortunately I saw BCC in January this year in London Hammersmith and they played Mistreated too.

5 minutes ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

Fortunately I saw BCC in January this year in London Hammersmith and they played Mistreated too.

Very cool.

I love Hammersmith (Apollo formerly Odeon).  It used to be my local concert venue and I’d go every month in my teens.  A great vibe, a good layout, and (usually) a fantastic sound.

2 minutes ago, DBraz said:

Very cool.

I love Hammersmith (Apollo formerly Odeon).  It used to be my local concert venue and I’d go every month in my teens.  A great vibe, a good layout, and (usually) a fantastic sound.

I just started visiting London for concerts last year, but it may already be over when the Brexit comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just how does Joe get that tone??

I know, I know it's all in the fingers but....

'70s strat, looks like a Fender twin re-issue (mic placement, number of knobs, blue light) and some 'box' on top - is that it?

Wow!

It wasn't weeks, as I posted before, in fact it was last saturday (Oct. 20th) that I got to see the show. Yes, it was a great show. Some people I know also attended the show and they felt there was to much instrumental stuff (You Fool No One), but then, they were not real DEEP PURPLE fans. The place was a smaller venue but sold out.

Archived