Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Glenn Tipton

devrock

Listening to Eddie Trunk this afternoon and he said that word out of the Priest camp is not good. Apparently, Glenn's illness has caught up with him and he's not doing well at all. It's believeed he will no longer be able to appear with them. My heart is just broken. He is my guitar hero. Always will be. I know the end was inevitable when they announced he had Parkinson's, but, still... :(

A few weeks ago, I was bouncing around YouTube and came across the last show they did in NYC during their 1998 tour (which I was at and was the first and only time I met the band - except Tim, who ignored fans waiting for him). How time flies. 20 years ago, he was thrashing around stage, ripping every solo you can imagine. That's how I want to remember him.

Time is a motherf*cker. 

Is he drinking still? http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-downing-says-he-tried-talking-to-glenn-tipton-about-his-drinking-that-didnt-get-me-anywhere/

Rob should bring back K.K. He should be in the band. 

"Rob and Scott knew why I quit. They knew exactly why I quit. Once that wasn’t going to be an issue anymore, I thought they might say, “Well, this happened. You fancy another crack at it?” I don’t think they’ve got a voice, if I was honest."    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/ex-judas-priest-guitarist-kk-downing-talks-heavy-metal-new-book-jimi-hendrix-728477/

Love the Priest. Favorite memory was mid 80’s. I was doing venue security. About a hour before the doors open Glenn is doing his sound check. All alone on stage in a empty building , in jeans and a t-shirt sitting on a stool playing slow blues riffs.  Priceless. 

6 hours ago, Disturber said:

Is he drinking still? http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-downing-says-he-tried-talking-to-glenn-tipton-about-his-drinking-that-didnt-get-me-anywhere/

Rob should bring back K.K. He should be in the band. 

"Rob and Scott knew why I quit. They knew exactly why I quit. Once that wasn’t going to be an issue anymore, I thought they might say, “Well, this happened. You fancy another crack at it?” I don’t think they’ve got a voice, if I was honest."    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/ex-judas-priest-guitarist-kk-downing-talks-heavy-metal-new-book-jimi-hendrix-728477/

No and NO.

First, I'm betting that he's likely not drinking any more, given his illness. Then again, if I were in his situation, I'd probably be drinking all the time.

I'm tired of hearing people call to bring KK back. He left the band 8 years ago and he couldn't hold a canle to Glenn's playing. However, in the end, with Glenn completely out of the picture, I think it's time the band call it a day. Richie is a phenomenal player and really stepped up on Firepower. But, without Glenn, it's no longer Priest, IMO. 

3 hours ago, devrock said:

No and NO.

First, I'm betting that he's likely not drinking any more, given his illness. Then again, if I were in his situation, I'd probably be drinking all the time.

I'm tired of hearing people call to bring KK back. He left the band 8 years ago and he couldn't hold a canle to Glenn's playing. However, in the end, with Glenn completely out of the picture, I think it's time the band call it a day. Richie is a phenomenal player and really stepped up on Firepower. But, without Glenn, it's no longer Priest, IMO. 

I disagree.  KK's playing was great and so was Glenn's.  I always admired how they took on new styles and techniques over the years.  I think it's unfortunate that Priest had basically become the Glenn Tipton/Rob Halford show.  Richie seems like a nice enough guy and he plays well, but to me he's the new Ripper Owens.    

9 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

If there is a backlog of songs and riffs Glenn has written I will accept the newer Judas Priest if they keep using Glenn's music. 

If they keep putting out good music, I’ll “accept them”, regardless. 

3 hours ago, devrock said:

I'm tired of hearing people call to bring KK back. He left the band 8 years ago and he couldn't hold a canle to Glenn's playing.

I saw Dokken open for them in the Meadowlands in New Jersey in about '86 or so, and I was in the front row. Only time I've EVER been in the front row of a 20K seat arena show :) You could see everything, and a lot of it was eye opening ;)  The guys in Dokken clearly couldn't stand Don Dokken, and KK played 95% of the Priest show on the E string. He would have been fine with a one string guitar, seriously. It was ALL Glen.

6 hours ago, jim777 said:

I saw Dokken open for them in the Meadowlands in New Jersey in about '86 or so, and I was in the front row. Only time I've EVER been in the front row of a 20K seat arena show :) You could see everything, and a lot of it was eye opening ;)  The guys in Dokken clearly couldn't stand Don Dokken, and KK played 95% of the Priest show on the E string. He would have been fine with a one string guitar, seriously. It was ALL Glen.

I was at that show!!!! That was my first Priest concert! Wish I had as good a memory as you. We were pretty high up, though. The one thing I *DO* remember is running for our lives in the parking lot. There were bleachers there (I think from some Indy car racing) and people were launching beer bottles over them. So we all had to do a hundred yard dash to get to where my parents’ car was waiting for us. 

7 hours ago, scottcald said:

I think it's unfortunate that Priest had basically become the Glenn Tipton/Rob Halford show.  Richie seems like a nice enough guy and he plays well, but to me he's the new Ripper Owens.    

*OUCH* How very incisive, but...ouch!

13 hours ago, devrock said:

No and NO.

If he was a serious drinker, alcohol might have made it worse.

I still think they should bring KK back. Maybe he was not as speedy in the fingers, but he always looked way cooler on stage. 😄

Archived