Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shipping To A USPS PO Box

Has anyone shipped a guitar to a USPS PO Box before? I`ve shipped many guitars, but never to a PO  Box. Is that Kosher? Is a signature possible? They want to pay Paypal Gift. I`m a little worried but I figured I`d wait for the money to clear and withdrawl it first before shipping the guitar. Thank you.

1 minute ago, black magic said:

Has anyone shipped a guitar to a USPS PO Box before? I`ve shipped many guitars, but never to a PO  Box. Is that Kosher? Is a signature possible? They want to pay Paypal Gift. I`m a little worried but I figured I`d wait for the money to clear and withdrawl it first before shipping the guitar. Thank you.

In a word NO! don't do it!.................that is IMHO........................just to much risk involved.

I live in a small town and get things shipped to my PO Box all the time. Never a Guitar tho. Fedex and UPS deliver to the same post office. It's going to be more expensive using USPS than Fedex, which I have found to have the best pricing for shipping guitars. Get the money in your hands 1st tho, insure it and your covered.

You can send it signature required. Probably a good idea.

1 minute ago, Dutchman said:

I live in a small town and get things shipped to my PO Box all the time. Never a Guitar tho. Fedex and UPS deliver to the same post office. It's going to be more expensive using USPS than Fedex, which I have found to have the best pricing for shipping guitars.

Ditto, I am in a small town. The last four or five guitars I have purchased have been delivered to my PO Box. Once you have been paid, you are in control of the transaction. Not sure how you could get scammed?

I've had a P.O. box for 30 years. Mostly because they didn't want to come down my lane to the house. It's all grown up around here now so not much of an issue but I still keep my box and have most everything sent there. As stated above, get your money up front and require an adult signature and you shouldn't have any problems.

a po box,  the usps would likely leave a slip in the guys box and he'd go to the

local branch and sign for it.   

just one thing... just because it's paypal gift and you withdraw the money,

can't say (IMHO at least) that you are 100% safe.  if a crook funded with an

unauthorized credit card and you get a chargeback,  paypal can probably go

after you for the funds.  Think the terms of service has all kind of nasty things

they can do (attach your credit being one of them).   

once had an old landlord who used a po box,   I did get my security deposit back, but was

creepy how few footprints of his existence there were.  by design I'm sure.         

15 hours ago, black magic said:

I really appreciate that fellas!! A lot to think about. He wants to pay Paypal Gift which is his choice and that is kind of unusual.

This is the way I pay and get paid every time I do a transaction.  As long as there is a level of trust in the forum you sold it in.  I haven't gotten a bad vibe from anyone in this forum, but I do use a little more caution on others.

Well, I am praying it works. He payed Paypal Gift and I shipped it today USPS Ground, insured and signature required. I did an immediate transfer of the funds but I didn`t know about the charge back on the Gift option. I assumed the buyer was more at risk on that option. If I get burnt, that`s on me. I shipped it from PA to CA. He was a junior member on the Jackson/Charvel forum with under 20 posts. Now I`m kind of nervous. Man I hate shipping anymore!! Thanks guys.

The only 2 differences between Paypal gift and regular Paypal is who pays the fee, and whether or not the payer has any protection at all. If you are sending Paypal gift to someone you don't know you're an idiot, IMHO. If someone wanted a grand from me for something and insisted on gift, I'd say fine and send 1035 regular Paypal. Why someone would insist on paying via gift is completely beyond me, honestly.

And I have a separate checking account I only use for Paypal.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:32 PM, jim777 said:

The only 2 differences between Paypal gift and regular Paypal is who pays the fee, and whether or not the payer has any protection at all. If you are sending Paypal gift to someone you don't know you're an idiot, IMHO. If someone wanted a grand from me for something and insisted on gift, I'd say fine and send 1035 regular Paypal. Why someone would insist on paying via gift is completely beyond me, honestly.

And I have a separate checking account I only use for Paypal.

One other thing--a lot of sellers want the buyer to pay the fees. According to the Paypal agreement, the SELLER pays the fees, not the buyer. I never understood "if using regular Paypal, please add X% for fees." Sorry; not gonna happen with me. The Seller pays the fees; that's the cost of doing business.

Archived