Hamer Fan Club Message Center

American Musical Supply - Good to deal with?

I've got Gibson SG Standard Fever. I've got it bad, and right now American Musical Supply has some in a lovely Pelham Blue AMS exclusive run color. They have some of the 2017 run left over with the 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus pickups, and a 2019 run with the 61R and 61T pickups. It's pretty much a given that I'm going to get one. I love that color, and the fact that it's NOT black or cherry is very appealing to me.

As is the fact that it's an SG, with a long neck joint. My last purchase from AMS was years ago though, and was in fact... another SG Standard, in Black, that was "open box" and i loved but stupidly sold because it was black.

How is their reputation these days? I guess that's my main question. Aside from trying to avoid buying one right now.

While I agree with Steve Haynie that it is always better to play before you pay, especially with the current QC issues of that brand, I can say that I have bought 3 guitars and 2 amplifiers and lot's of accessories from AMS and never had a glitch. In fact the only problem I've ever had with them was that they once sent me a Electro-Harmonix Cathedral pedal instead of the MXR ISO Brick I ordered. They exchanged it gladly as soon as I let them know.

Only thing I missed was getting to see the expression on the face of the buyer who got a brick when he was expecting the Cathedral. :D

24 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

With any Gibson it is better to try before you buy.  Are there any local stores you can visit and negotiate a deal with? 

I wish I could, but the Pelham Blue is an AMS exclusive color. They actually have a warehouse in NJ, but are sadly not open to the public and don't have a showroom.

They're good to deal with and great if you need to return something that isn't as advertised.  No hassle.

They're so good, in fact, I think a member here ordered a Hamer GC-1 case from them years ago and it came with a free Korina Artist.  They sent him another when he tried to return the case...unless that was Musician's Friend, I forget now.

3 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

They're so good, in fact, I think a member here ordered a Hamer GC-1 case from them years ago and it came with a free Korina Artist.  They sent him another when he tried to return the case...unless that was Musician's Friend, I forget now.

Yeah, they just gave those things away back then.

I just remember (David E.) getting the Korina Artist when all he wanted was the empty case.  I think they sent him a second case...with another Korina Artist inside, and wouldn't let him return it.

5 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I just remember (David E.) getting the Korina Artist when all he wanted was the empty case.  I think they sent him a second case...with another Korina Artist inside, and wouldn't let him return it.

Probably the only time he ever got a guitar without insisting on knowing the weight first.

13 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

What?!? Seriously? lol

While AMS, Zounds, and Music123 are different companies, they all share the same warehouse. I've noticed many times they show the same guitar on their respective websites, but with different pricing.  

54 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Sounds like ordering a case might be worth a shot

1 hour ago, Thundersteel said:

While AMS, Zounds, and Music123 are different companies, they all share the same warehouse. I've noticed many times they show the same guitar on their respective websites, but with different pricing.  

Both ZZounds and AMS have the Pelham blue ones listed, but the price is the same on both the 2017 and 2019 pelham blue models. Heck the pictures might even be the same.

Now I want to order a case, but somehow I think there's less of a chance of a free guitar with a Gibson case.

4 minutes ago, scottcald said:

They do have this as their return policy:

https://www.americanmusical.com/content--name-45-Day-Money-Back-Guarantee

I've ordered some things and had to return one or two, and it was no problem.  

I guess the question ends up being whether to get the guitar with the 57 Classic / Classic Plus pickups that has been around for a year or so in the warehouse, or get one of the newer ones with the 61R/61T pickups.  The 2017 is discounted 80 bucks though...

Well, this is what I remember about the "61" series pickups:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/1961-Humbucker-A-Classic-Reborn.aspx

They are Alnico 5, and they are what are on the AMS 2019 Pelham Blue. The 2019 Cherry and Ebony standards however have the full pickguard, and they have the 490R 490T combo instead.

That alone is one reason not to get them. I definitely like the 498T more as a bridge pickup. THe 490R 490T combo is what they put in specials 10 years ago.

56 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Well, this is what I remember about the "61" series pickups:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/1961-Humbucker-A-Classic-Reborn.aspx

They are Alnico 5, and they are what are on the AMS 2019 Pelham Blue. The 2019 Cherry and Ebony standards however have the full pickguard, and they have the 490R 490T combo instead.

That alone is one reason not to get them. I definitely like the 498T more as a bridge pickup. THe 490R 490T combo is what they put in specials 10 years ago.

Yeah, the 498T definitely to me is a better bridge pickup with the 490R. 

My old SG had the 490R and 498T combo, and I really liked it. But I also liked the SG supreme with 57 Classics, though I wished the bridge had a bit more BEEF.

Of course, My cars front steering now needs pretty much rebuilding, so it's gonna be a while, and the 2017 models may be sold out by then.

20 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

This. The good news is, they (or zZounds at least) have a price match policy that they will honor if you see one of those other retailers (or any other) advertise the item for less within 45 days of your purchase. It's just easier if it's one of the other two in that trio because you're comparing the exact same item (no games about slightly different nuances).

I took advantage of it thru zZounds with no hassle whatsoever. Got another $100 off the already low price on one of these guys.

Archived