Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Lubritrak Nut

FGJ

I've searched online to see what this material is and it still remains a mystery to me. Any former Hamer employees know what the material actually is (without giving some nebulous reference to "lubricating molecules")? Is it just a fancy marketing name for plastic? Is it really more frictionless than graphite? What's the skinny?

5 hours ago, FGJ said:

I've searched online to see what this material is and it still remains a mystery to me. Any former Hamer employees know what the material actually is (without giving some nebulous reference to "lubricating molecules")? Is it just a fancy marketing name for plastic? Is it really more frictionless than graphite? What's the skinny?

Excellent question!! I have noticed that some come with bone nut’s on the more premium builds. So in my mind bone is an upgrade. I have never changed a nut on any Hamer USA I’ve ever owned. That can not be said of the other major name guitars I’ve owned.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

It's made from a Space-age polymer formula.
That's all I know. 

Same material used in making the infamous Galactic Prophylactic. 

There are some older threads on this subject.  I was told some white nuts are the same stuff, just white. Some Hamer descriptions say ivory, maybe meaning the color?  My 2002 Studio Custom has a white nut.  I couldn't say by looking what it is.

In other words, it's just glorified plastic. That's all I wanted to know. And I figured the "ivory" description in the marketing material couldn't mean it was actually ivory, bone, or any such thing. Well, at least it's worked well for me, whatever it is.

I had swapped the nut on my MIK Standard to lubritrak years ago. It significantly improved the tuning. These also work great with floating trems. Bone is a premium for it’s natural origin and historic value I think rather than for it’s function.

7 hours ago, FGJ said:

Isn't plastic already an oil-based material? 

I think he ment "soap impregnated plastic". Soap is slippery, and also stays clean, so you don't have to clean the nut either.

35 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

TRUTH. While bone does generally sound good, using it isn’t a guarantee of great sound. Because it is bone, it can have density irregularities that can resonate differently on one end of the nut vs the other end, and can also have dead spots.

I use TUSQ XL nuts. They sound extremely vibrant, just huge, and tuning with them is effortless and instruments with them tend to stay in tune better. I like them better than bone.

TUSQ (/truth) being said. B)

44 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I clean my nuts all the time, soap or no soap.

This statement probably needs some explanation. 🤭

Archived