Hamer Fan Club Message Center

MC5's 'Kick Out The Jams': 50th anniversary

It's about ten days until the half-century mark for the recording of arguably the most brutal album in rock history, Kick Out The Jams by the MC5.

The liner notes on the LP (and subsequent CD) intone: "MC5 was recorded 'live' on stage at Russ Gibb's Grande Ballroom, Detroit, on the Zenta New Year, October 30-31, 1968." Album was released in February 1969.

Methinks I heard that there are some Motor City events planned (including Wayne Kramer?) to mark the event.

FWMOW Kick Out The Jams still holds up due to its raw power (pun intended RE the Stooges, peers in the Michigan scene in those times...but the Stooges' Raw Power album (their third) released in 1973, paled in comparson to their sophomore release, 1970's Fun House).

Saw the original fivesome of the MC5 in concert in late December, 1970.  Bob Seger opened. Jeezus...

Kick Out The Jams was rivaled in its potency perhaps only by Blue Cheer's Vincebus Eruptum, released a year earlier. It seems to be somewhat of a sonic dichotomy that both albums ended up on CD...but I doubt that they were remastered/remixed; such manipulations would prolly come across to true believers as heresy.

I still listen to KOTJ and VE on occasion. Usually, it's when I'm traveling in a car by myself, trying to drown out the road noise...

LO-MC5.jpg

I remember that..........Kinda.

Big fan of MC5.

And the Grande. Saw just about all of the big names there. once or twice a month  for most of '67 & '68.

Thanks for the memories.

IIRC the band still had Dan Honaker and Pep Perrine, but it was around the time "System" was being phased out. Wanna recall that the promo posters had "System" but the P.A. announcer introduced 'em as just "Bob Seger"

Kick out the Jams. A milestone. A blue print for many bands who followed. None as great as the original.

I love that song, for some reason to my ears it sounds like James Brown and The Famous Flames imitating the Black Crowes and/or the Black Crowes imitating James Brown and The Famous Flames.

Archived