Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Frettless build

jaberwock

Question

I bought a Warwick Rockbass  fretless neck second for fourty nine bucks on ebay, surprisingly good; didn't have much of a budget, but using wood left over from another project, and GFS parts, I managed to put this together for just over two hundred and fifty dollars.

The mahogony body works well for fretless, really brings out the "mwaaaahhh" and overall super happy with the way it sounds and plays; using a veneer top however was a huge mistake, it created a lot of extra work, for the sake of an extra seventy bucks !!

fretless FB2x.jpg

Untitled_Artwork x 12.jpg

7 answers to this question

10 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

How did you decide on the pickup placement? (Looks like it's closer to the neck pickup in the drawing but still somewhere between the two)

For me the bridge pickup tends to sound a little honky, and the neck a little wooly, so I went in between; Im planning on changing to a Bartolini MM4C when funds allow.

I'm probably still in the honeymoon period , but it's better than I ever could have hoped for, both sonically, and aesthetically.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:11 PM, jaberwock said:

For me the bridge pickup tends to sound a little honky, and the neck a little wooly, so I went in between; I'm planning on changing to a Bartolini MM4C when funds allow.

It's no accident that the USA Bartolinis show up on so many boutique basses. I've had 'em on a couple of MIK basses and the tones were sweeeet!

Archived