Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NSOS? I'd have to disagree.

She performed at the James Burton Festival in Shreveport in '09.

Same white autographed white V IIRC.

Played one twelve-bar instrumental competently.

My opinion back then was that she needed something else besides being a juvenile female player, and this video indicates she's, uh, matured...and I mean musically. Sounds like she's pretty much got Gary Moore's phrasing down pat, and it's interesting to hear a female vocalize that song. Impressive.

I do not know what "NSOS" means.

33 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Not putting her or her playing down, but if I want to hear Gary Moore rip it up, I'll listen to Gary Moore.

I'm with you on that.  Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of hearing and seeing "kid phenoms"? 

There is a point where one's playing has to be judged based on ability rather than age.  While someone is young they can play like their heroes and get away with it.  Kenny Wayne Shepherd played Hendrix on stage 25 years ago.  For a young guy to play Hendrix was cool.  He had not seen it done over and over yet.  So, if Kristen Capolino wants to play like Gary Moore she can do it all she wants.  In ten years we can expect her to have her own style. 

3 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

So, if Kristen Capolino wants to play like Gary Moore she can do it all she wants.

I didn't say she could or couldn't. I just said I'm not interested.

45 minutes ago, scottcald said:

I'm with you on that.  Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of hearing and seeing "kid phenoms"? 

She's 30. 

36 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I didn't say she could or couldn't. I just said I'm not interested.

I loathe that song. I was interested to see if that tittie would pop out from behind the guitar strap. She also looks great in shorts.

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

I am with you 100%.  That kid singer on America's Got Talent that everybody was comparing to Janis Joplin absolutely sucked, and I just saw a video of some young girl playing Eruption at warp speed -- unnecessary.  I have no idea why people are so impressed by someone that has put a million hours into playing some difficult piece instead of actually playing music.  It's just like they're doing finger exercises.

2 hours ago, tommy p said:

I am with you 100%.  That kid singer on America's Got Talent that everybody was comparing to Janis Joplin absolutely sucked, and I just saw a video of some young girl playing Eruption at warp speed -- unnecessary.  I have no idea why people are so impressed by someone that has put a million hours into playing some difficult piece instead of actually playing music.  It's just like they're doing finger exercises.

If all else fails, at least they can still get into a tribute band.

Here's a trio of images of her from the aforementioned '09 Burton Festival. That was nine years ago, and it doesn't look (aesthetically) like much has changed.

As for the Gary Moore riffs, I think she's matured since what I heard in Shreveport but I agree that she still might need to find her own thing to distinguish her. "Tribute riffing" gets pretty old pretty quickly, at least for me.

Capolino 1.JPG

Capolino 2.JPG

Capolino 3.JPG

12 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Nice phrasing, great melody, excellent note shaping and control.

As a gear head, I'm trying to figure out whether she's going through the THD or the Boogie.

I was wondering the same thing. I had a THD for a bit. 

20 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

She looks younger in the video.  No  complaints here.  :)

That's because we're getting old. 

12 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Nice phrasing, great melody, excellent note shaping and control.

As a gear head, I'm trying to figure out whether she's going through the THD or the Boogie.

Her website says she plays through THD Flexi-50s.

10 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I was wondering the same thing. I had a THD for a bit. 

10 hours ago, Camstone said:

Her website says she plays through THD Flexi-50s.

I met the founder/designer of THD at--of all things--a pre-schooler's birthday party. The pre-schooler's dad ownned and ran a company that made music studio electronics, so I'm sure that he and the THD guy ran in some of the same circles. It turns out that I live just 5 miles from where THD amps are built.

On 10/26/2018 at 12:23 PM, scottcald said:

The mere fact that this appears in a forum populated almost exclusively by <ahem> older dudes kinda renders that statement (which BTW I more or less share) somewhat suspect. (Now get off my lawn!) 😄

ETA I don't mind the shorts on her so much as the over-amped facial expressions. She clearly has practiced these as much as the well-worn blues riffs and licks. <yawn>

Next.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I met the founder/designer of THD at--of all things--a pre-schooler's birthday party. The pre-schooler's dad ownned and ran a company that made music studio electronics, so I'm sure that he and the THD guy ran in some of the same circles.

*THUD!!* Owwwch! Hey, could sombody please get this name off of my foot?!!

Archived