Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Coupla program on AXS that weren't half bad

Sometimes AXS gets a bit treacly, like those "Rock Legends" 30-minute profiles, and I'm no fan of Dan Rather (in any program format) either.

That said, I recently enjoyed the bio on Ritchie Blackmore. Seemed to be put together well, and seemed to be balanced, FWMOW. Plenty of details and eloquent straightforward comments from former bandmates.

Then there was Dan Rather's interview with Skynyrd's Gary Rossington, Ricky Medlocke, and Johnny Van Zandt. Although Rather tried to play provocateur in an obvious-but-relatively-mild manner regarding subjects like the Confederate Battle Flag, the boys seemed to hold their own, and were honest about their past and present personal lives. Enjoyed this more than I thunk I would.

Kansas is up on Rather's show next week. I plan on checking that one out, as well.

I don't care for DR either.  But I did enjoy the Sammy H interview.

I also like the "Classic Albums" show focusing on Black Sabbath's  Paranoid.  I thought it put that album in the context of the times/place very well.  

11 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Although Rather tried to play provocateur in an obvious-but-relatively-mild manner regarding subjects like the Confederate Battle Flag, the boys seemed to hold their own, and were honest about their past and present personal lives.

I thought Rather's questions were absolutely fair game, and I think the lads answered them sufficiently. Skynyrd Mk II has cashed in on both the original band's catalog and the neo-rebel culture that much of their concert auduence subscribes to. If you are going to exploit the heritage and subculture for the purposes of making revenue, then fine. Own it and be prepared to explain your rationale. Rather did his job, and so did the Skynyrd boys. 

Archived