Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Could I just get a Tele? No, of course not.

I sold my 1989 bought new American Standard Telecaster (the one that got away) a few years back when I went to law school. My Fender Aerodyne Tele has been living with my buddy in NC for several years, and I was missing having a Tele at home. I kept looking for another Fender, but I prefer an offset body style, individually adjustable saddles, a forearm contour, and staggered locking tuners. So I got this Ibanez Prestige Talman TM1702:

tqqwegtd6pfjagxdwirw.jpg

gtwyorrt4g2gigkq0cam.jpg

Ibanez put these out in 2016, releasing similar looking low cost Korean models and more expensive Japan made (Prestige) versions. I tried out the Korean model and it was okay, but the fit and finish on the Prestige is much better (as is the hardware).  I got a very good deal (listed as a refurb, but the seller said it was just unsold stock - there was no stamp) with plastic still on the neck pickup and pick guard. 

The Seymour Duncan® Alnico II Pro pickups sound great, and give me all the spanky jangle I want from a Tele. The 12" radius fretboard is a little flatter than I like, but it feels great, and the frets were perfectly dressed. Light, balanced, plays great. Just not quite a Tele.

The body curves are nice on the Meteora, but that area of the pickguard around the knobs seems kinda meh design-wise to me, as well as the black block inlays...those inlays weren't all that popular when they came out on Fenders in the '70's.  I don't care much for the short dirt-catcher lid over the bridge, either.

Those are great!

Always wanted one of the original Talmans, but could never find one that met my price.  Bought one of their semi-hollows (it had to have been made in the mid 2000s) and it was pretty bland compared to the semi-hollow AS73 Ibanez 339-ish guitar, which I love.

Archived