Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gravelin Pickups: Charlotte and Schlabotnik/Ults Limited HFC Discount

Thanks for peeking in! In case you're not aware, I'm the guy that builds all the pickups for Shishkov Guitars, ie: Mike Shishkov - Hamers esteemed Master Builder and Designer of some of the most amazing instruments on the planet! I've been living in this crazy world of pickup repair, design, winding, and construction for almost 20 years now but decided to make a real 'go' at it 8 years ago to take control of my life and live it on my own terms. I'm a professional musician too, have a huge set of ears, and I appreciate the community here at the HFC! Via input on posts, I contribute when I have something to offer - but if people aren't asking questions about pickups, which lately hasn't happened much, I'm just a silent supporter and observer. The reason for my post now: I've got a new Shishkov order coming in soon which means that I buy parts in 1000+ bulk. There's been an increase in the costs with the steel bits and with the limited amount that I have left, I wanted to use my last purchase order of parts up, build pickups and do what I love, and offer them up here on the HFC for a discounted price to support this community of musicians.

I have enough parts left for 16 humbucker sets:  8 Schlabotnik (renamed The Ult set, NOS slugs) and 8 Charlotte (current spec standard Shishkov pickups). Bobbin colors are up to you: black, ivory, white, or parchment. It's the steel parts that matter here and current costs for these are considerably higher than what I was previously paying. I want to give my HFC crew the best prices before I have to bump them up!

For HFC Supporting Members: $110 Each, $220 Set until they are gone! Shipping included.

Schlabotnik/Ult Specs

-8.7k bridge / 7.5k neck (+/- 3%)

-50mm bridge/49.2mm neck

-Alnico 2 in both positions

-Vintage correct PAF steels all the way around

-vintage push-back braid or 4 conductor lead wire

-100% handwound, USA parts, courtesy of yours truly

Charlotte Specs

-10.8k bridge / 7.9k neck(+/- 3%)

-Unoriented Alnico 5 bridge, Alnico 2 neck

-50mm bridge/49.2mm neck

-Vintage correct PAF steels all the way around

-vintage push-back braid or 4 conductor lead wire

-100% handwound, USA parts, courtesy of yours truly

Once again, for HFC Supporting Members: $220/set - $110/each. Shipping included. For non-supporting HFC members, this will be the last best deal I will be able to offer you for handwound, USA, 100% real deal pickups: $250/set - $125/each plus $7 shipping. If you want the good price, now's the time to pony up and support the HFC by becoming a real, official paid member of the best guitar forum on the internet. PayPal: [email protected] to claim/reserve your set.

Any questions are welcome - fire away! Need 53mm spacing? Custom colors not listed? Please get in touch either 'here' or via email at: [email protected]

All standard bobbin combinations I've listed will be shipped within 3 weeks or less. Thank you for reading to the end! Here's a photo:

DSC03365.JPG

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m down for a Schlabotnik/Ult set for my newly aquired Studio... Thank you Srvwannab for an awesome guitar!!!

so just how do I go about doing this???

Roshark: no PM from you yet but get in touch when you have a moment! You're in on the early side of this offering and I'll hold a place for you.

Scottcald: Unoriented Alnico 5 vs. a standard Alnico 5. The difference between the two in regards to how their made is that with the Unoriented version, they pour the metallurgic mixture in the former without any magnetic alignment whatsoever. Because of this, the particles have a random alignment and once fully charged will exhibit a slightly warmer and more organic sound compared to a magnetically aligned Alnico 5: less cutting and more organic, and sits in the middle of what a fully charged normal Alnico 5 would be vs. an Alnico 2. Which by description makes it sound almost like an Alnico 4, but it's a little more forgiving in the mid-range frequencies. Another comparison would be a louder and more pissed off version of an Alnico 4 magnet. Or an Alnico 2 .. x2!

It's not easy to describe such things but to my seasoned ears UA5 sound very classic but has enough drive and gain to split the difference between modern and vintage. A nice balance. Not only in humbuckers but P90s too!! Glorious vintage-y sounding sounds, but more of it ...   if that makes sense?

I like Unoriented 5 in pickups to 12k. Beyond that the mids increase to the point where the Unoriented A5 is a bit too much! But, a normal A5 (polished for a bit more treble, roughcast for warmer tones) with it's slightly scooped mids balances things out nicely. For example: 14k-ish and a normal A5 for bright sounding guitars  = magic!

People have asked about the cost of covers. Mine are made right here in the USA, german nickel silver, thinly and mostly excellently plated, and preserve the original sound of the pickups I've worked to perfect. Personally and generally speaking, I prefer humbuckers with covers on- the notes solidify and meld together in a way that makes my ears happy. If you want them, it's + $38.

And if you don't, that's ok too! The Shishkov pickups were designed and tuned to operate as open, uncovered coils and they are guaranteed to sound fantastic.

Just putting that out there.

You won't regret it...

Hi Rugby,

The Charlotte set would be a good choice here: a medium output "hot vintage" type: blues and jazzes just as good as it metals and shreds - a really nice balance with them as I know a bunch of Shishkov guitar owners as well as individuals putting these pickups in their guitars will attest to.

But maybe you want even more muscle?

I do custom and if you get a hold of me before these Ults and Charlottes disappear, I'll extend a discount. I've done it already since I've posted these HFC special offers and I'm happy to do so!

PM me.

12 minutes ago, 0054 said:

GTrons, I can't tell you how perfect they are in my Newport.

Rodi, you are so damn cool and I'm glad those pickups are still making you happy! Chimey glistening bright feathery telecaster-esque right? I love making those even though they don't fall into this HFC special deal. The authentic double thickness Alnico mag and extra parts involved to make it as mechanically tight/sound as possible with the thickness of the magnet adds extra cost. Also, the only source I have for those covers is overseas and they kill me on shipping when I order just a pair of them as a one-off.

Post some sound clips! I'd love to hear You bro!

Josh - I still haven't forgotten about that "project" thing...

When things slow down a bit, I'll bring that back up! ;)

Archived