Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gravelin Pickups: Charlotte and Schlabotnik/Ults Limited HFC Discount

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

An update! The bobbins, magnets, and Nickel covers I ordered for this HFC offering arrived on Friday but they sent the wrong bobbin sizes for the neck pickups (I ordered 49.2mm - they sent 50mm). Obviously there's a delay while I wait on those to arrive, but in the meantime I've been winding bridge pickup bobbins, cutting maple spacers, and have also completed a few full sets using the limited stock of 49.2mm bobbins that I had. Everything is turning out great so far - perfect, beautiful coils too.

There's also an extra Charlotte set available as a purchaser backed out so here's what's left:

Schlabotnik/ULT set: 2

Charlotte set: 3

If you'd like a set, get in touch!

DSC03387.JPG

DSC03388.JPG

DSC03389.JPG

DSC03386.JPG

57 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Nah, you put these in the guitars and hang the old ones on the wall.  

Josh is a close friend and build many sets of pickups for me.  I’m just adding a little humor.  

10 hours ago, JGravelin said:

An update! The bobbins, magnets, and Nickel covers I ordered for this HFC offering arrived on Friday but they sent the wrong bobbin sizes for the neck pickups (I ordered 49.2mm - they sent 50mm). Obviously there's a delay while I wait on those to arrive, but in the meantime I've been winding bridge pickup bobbins, cutting maple spacers, and have also completed a few full sets using the limited stock of 49.2mm bobbins that I had. Everything is turning out great so far - perfect, beautiful coils too.

There's also an extra Charlotte set available as a purchaser backed out so here's what's left:

Schlabotnik/ULT set: 2

Charlotte set: 3

If you'd like a set, get in touch!

Hope the bobbins arrive before long.  Have a gig Dec 8th and looking to test drive the ULTs in my Studio Custom.  All the positive comments and the recent pics have me Jonesing for  them!

On 10/29/2018 at 7:37 PM, JGravelin said:

Thanks for peeking in! In case you're not aware, I'm the guy that builds all the pickups for Shishkov Guitars, ie: Mike Shishkov - Hamers esteemed Master Builder and Designer of some of the most amazing instruments on the planet! I've been living in this crazy world of pickup repair, design, winding, and construction for almost 20 years now but decided to make a real 'go' at it 8 years ago to take control of my life and live it on my own terms. I'm a professional musician too, have a huge set of ears, and I appreciate the community here at the HFC! Via input on posts, I contribute when I have something to offer - but if people aren't asking questions about pickups, which lately hasn't happened much, I'm just a silent supporter and observer. The reason for my post now: I've got a new Shishkov order coming in soon which means that I buy parts in 1000+ bulk. There's been an increase in the costs with the steel bits and with the limited amount that I have left, I wanted to use my last purchase order of parts up, build pickups and do what I love, and offer them up here on the HFC for a discounted price to support this community of musicians.

I have enough parts left for 16 humbucker sets:  8 Schlabotnik (renamed The Ult set, NOS slugs) and 8 Charlotte (current spec standard Shishkov pickups). Bobbin colors are up to you: black, ivory, white, or parchment. It's the steel parts that matter here and current costs for these are considerably higher than what I was previously paying. I want to give my HFC crew the best prices before I have to bump them up!

For HFC Supporting Members: $110 Each, $220 Set until they are gone! Shipping included.

Schlabotnik/Ult Specs

-8.8k bridge / 7.5k neck (+/- 3%)

-50mm bridge/49.2mm neck

-Alnico 2 in both positions

-Vintage correct PAF steels all the way around

-vintage push-back braid or 4 conductor lead wire

-100% handwound, USA parts, courtesy of yours truly

Charlotte Specs

-10.8k bridge / 7.9k neck(+/- 3%)

-Unoriented Alnico 5 bridge, Alnico 2 neck

-50mm bridge/49.2mm neck

-Vintage correct PAF steels all the way around

-vintage push-back braid or 4 conductor lead wire

-100% handwound, USA parts, courtesy of yours truly

Once again, for HFC Supporting Members: $220/set - $110/each. Shipping included. For non-supporting HFC members, this will be the last best deal I will be able to offer you for handwound, USA, 100% real deal pickups: $250/set - $125/each plus $7 shipping. If you want the good price, now's the time to pony up and support the HFC by becoming a real, official paid member of the best guitar forum on the internet. PayPal: [email protected] to claim/reserve your set.

Any questions are welcome - fire away! Need 53mm spacing? Custom colors not listed? Please get in touch either 'here' or via email at: [email protected]

All standard bobbin combinations I've listed will be shipped within 3 weeks or less. Thank you for reading to the end! Here's a photo:

DSC03365.JPG

I'm glad to hear I'm well equipped ;-) Got the Charlotte PUs in my Shishkov V80. Good stuff!!!

Charlotte Sets: 2

Schlabotnik/Ult Sets: 2

Only 4 more sets left and I'd love for these to go to the HFC community. Your support of Mike Shishkov and Myself over the last few years has been incredible. This is one way I can 'pay it back'.

Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving!

22 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

Hope the bobbins arrive before long.  Have a gig Dec 8th and looking to test drive the ULTs in my Studio Custom.  All the positive comments and the recent pics have me Jonesing for  them!

Whenever you get them, the Shlabotnik sisters will make you very, very happy.

I'm checking in with a progress report and I'll just get right down to it:

There's been an issue beyond my control, an error in the making of the coil wire that I have: an inconsistency with the insulation barrier over the bare copper wire that has caused one internally shorted coil after another. The first bunch of coils: everything spec'd out within my +/- 3% so I went ahead with the Henry Ford inspired "production line" style of winding and assembly that I always do. Sadly, and with much frustration and anger on my part, the coils that followed were out of spec with a basic dcr measurement and deeper testing with an LCR meter revealed internal shorts in the coils.

For the few people that may read this and know the field in which I work: no, it's not a tension issue, an off-spooling issue, a guide issue, or some kind of monkey-business with how I wind. Believe me, I have examined every part of my process with this.

Because I'm a stickler for quality control and "just to make sure" of things, I pulled apart and retested the completed pickups as well and while they are within the specs I adhere to, I have doubts about them now. For Your sake and Mine, I have decided not to ship them. I'm scrapping all my work (hours and hours and hours worth here) and will be starting fresh with new wire.

I know some of you will be disappointed by the delay and I'm sorry for that, but I cannot with a clean conscience let any of these pickups I've wound so far out of my shop. You paid for my Best Work and this is what you'll get.

Bear with me please. I'm sorry. Thank you.

49 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

I cannot with a clean conscience let any of these pickups I've wound so far out of my shop. You paid for my Best Work and this is what you'll get.

Bear with me please. I'm sorry. Thank you.

What a cool dude!.. this kind of Integrity is what's lacking nowadays... makes me want to buy a set of pickups just for the hell of it... 

another pickup builder got a bad batch of wire earlier this year... unfortunately they shipped them out. I think it sucks for you Josh... But I think you’re doing the right thing!! 

Archived