Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gravelin Pickups: Charlotte and Schlabotnik/Ults Limited HFC Discount

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dana:  That's a beautiful burst and the pickups look stellar! A perfect fit with the rings..so nice! If the low/med volume is good, expect greatness when cranked as well.

The last few of the original offering sets have been shipped, tracking numbers sent - it's going to be a happy and rocking New Year for everyone! Thank You to all for being patient with that bad spool of wire and extended lead time. Playing "catch up" meant for a week of 16 hour workdays along with other orders too but I had an absolute blast with it: wire ran perfectly smooth, dcr and inductance measurements were exactly right; back to normal is a great feeling!

As for the B-stock sets with only the lightest scratches on the bobbins, completely rewound and New otherwise: 2 have shipped - a Charlotte and an Ult. I've got enough for 3 set of each of both The Shlabotnik/Ult sets and Charlotte: $200/set. Add $30 for covers. Shipping included!

Your choice of output lead wire. Bobbin colors are first come, first serve but I will do my best to make it all work for you.

My  Charlotte set arrived this afternoon. Installed this evening.

Both pickups sound FANTASTIC! As an experiment, I wired the humbuckers in the same 4-way scheme as the original DD's (bridge, both/parallel, neck, both/series). The 4-way sounds great like this with a boost in the series position. I'll test in rehearsal Thursday.  I ordered a standard 3-way switch, it sits in waiting.

Here's the updated EM Pro:

jxXXuwZ.jpg

I

14 hours ago, atomicwash said:

My  Charlotte set arrived this afternoon. Installed this evening.

Both pickups sound FANTASTIC! As an experiment, I wired the humbuckers in the same 4-way scheme as the original DD's (bridge, both/parallel, neck, both/series). The 4-way sounds great like this with a boost in the series position. I'll test in rehearsal Thursday.  I ordered a standard 3-way switch, it sits in waiting.

Here's the updated EM Pro:

jxXXuwZ.jpg

I wondered how those would sound with a 4 way switch. 

I can't help but think it would sound pretty cool if you could get some single coil tones out of those.

I love that guitar!! An EM Pro has just been added to my short-list of must haves..

A considerable amount of focus went into assuring that the splits would be toneful and have good output: push/pull pots are cheap so if you want to expand your options, go for it! All my humbucker pickups are available with your choice of output lead wire: vintage style push-back braided single conductor or 4 cond + ground. I can do 2 conductor ground as well which can be useful for out-of-phase sounds.

Speaking of pickups, I spent new years day winding and assembling some of the B-stock bobbins and making a few sets of pickups in the popularly requested  colors and output lead wires. Fully tested and good to go! $200/set, $100 singles - free shipping.

Set 1: Charlotte Black, braided lead wire (49.2mm neck, 50mm bridge)

Set 2: Charlotte Ivory bridge, Zebra neck, braided lead wire (49.2mm neck, 50mm bridge)

Set 3: Ult neck and Charlotte bridge in Ivory, braided lead wire(49.2mm neck, 50mm bridge)

Single 1: Charlotte bridge, Zebra, braided lead wire (50mm)

Single 2: Charlotte bridge, Zebra, 4 conductor lead wire (53mm spacing)

CharSet1.JPG

CharSet2.JPG

charBultN.JPG

Char B.JPG

4 hours ago, JGravelin said:

I love that guitar!! An EM Pro has just been added to my short-list of must haves..

Pickups look great and undoubtedly will sound great.

However if you mean you want a Talladega Pro in Earthen Maple I am afraid these do not exist.

The guitar of Dan "atomicwash" is an EM Talladega, not a Pro.

Als far as I know there have been made 25 EM Studio's and 25 EM Talladega's. The guitar above is EM Talladega no 25 of 25.

There is more difference between the Talladega and the Talladega Pro than only the pickups, as the Pro has a somewhat thicker body, has 2 Vol and 2 Tone controls and the neck is probably somewhat different also.

Gabe 😀

Thanks for clarifying this, Gabe! I've never seen an EM Tally before so I thought the "Pro" that Atomicwash mentioned was a designation for the model. That said, I love the Talladega shape and the natural organic look of the top. Perfect burst too!

I added the "Pro" as a play on models with the new humbuckers in a Tally. 😎

There is one Earthen Maple Talladega on the market (link below). Unfortunately, #15 should be closer to $2500.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/collections/hamer/products/hamer-talladega-amber-burst-2008

@JGravelin - Those pickups look great! I get to crank the Tally at rehearsal tonight. :) Can't wait. 

Sadly I do not have that kind of $$$ on hand at the moment but who knows - maybe one will come up for the HFC-approved price. Or I could hold my breath. Anyone who has one of these is lucky!

The final B-Stock Shishkov pickups are still available. Take a peek at the photos I've posted above and then check @zenmindbeginner's most recent post for a taste:

HFC ♥

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed a set of Ultimates with Alnico 5s in my Earthen Maple Studio. Harmonics just fly off the fretboard, and I can now hear each string individually, rather than being lost in the mix. 

I think they look good, too. Well done, Josh!

IMG_0383.JPG

Charlottes in the Navigator. Strong output (not, "hot"), clear and focused clean or overdriven. Nice pairing with the limba.

IMG_0836.jpeg

BTW, Josh: The foyer closet tie-rack is wondering why it's so quiet in there (hint, hint)! Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa..!*

IMG_0839.jpeg

* In case anyone cares, no, I'm not waiting on a new set of pickups. I sent Josh my WB Greenys to install gold screws/covers and he ran into a setback with one of his suppliers. Just having fun and bustin' ballz, as I am want to do.😁

4 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

Question: where did the names “Shlabotnik” and “Charlotte” come from?

Joe Shlabotnik is a retired major league baseball player and, like all adults, an unseen character in the world of Charles M. Schulz's long-running comic strip, Peanuts. He was first referred to by name in the Sunday strip from August 18, 1963, although Schroeder mentions a pianist named "Joseph Schlabotnik" in the February 22, 1957 strip, and a storyline which ran between May 7 and May 10, 1963 revolves around the distress caused to Charlie Brown when his unnamed favorite baseball player is sent down to the minors.

Charlotte is a female given name, a female form of the male name Charlot, a diminutive of Charles.[1] It is of French origin meaning "free man" or "petite". The name dates back to at least the 14th century.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Joe Shlabotnik is a retired major league baseball player and, like all adults, an unseen character in the world of Charles M. Schulz's long-running comic strip, Peanuts. He was first referred to by name in the Sunday strip from August 18, 1963, although Schroeder mentions a pianist named "Joseph Schlabotnik" in the February 22, 1957 strip, and a storyline which ran between May 7 and May 10, 1963 revolves around the distress caused to Charlie Brown when his unnamed favorite baseball player is sent down to the minors.

Charlotte is a female given name, a female form of the male name Charlot, a diminutive of Charles.[1] It is of French origin meaning "free man" or "petite". The name dates back to at least the 14th century.

Thanks, but I was wondering why the pickups were named those. 

On 1/21/2019 at 5:31 PM, RobB said:

IMG_0839.jpeg

* In case anyone cares, no, I'm not waiting on a new set of pickups. I sent Josh my WB Greenys to install gold screws/covers and he ran into a setback with one of his suppliers. Just having fun and bustin' ballz, as I am want to do.😁

Full disclosure: you said that your attempt in finding covers previously for your WB Greeny set was a pain in the ass. And you didn't disclose this to me until after the fact.

The WB bobbins are not typical 49.2mm classic Gib spec nor are they 50mm. They are 49.4mm which make the fit just slightly too wide with the screw poles. My 2 USA suppliers couldn't accommodate this ( send/return, send/return) so I'm now expecting some covers from the UK that have slightly looser tolerances  - hopefully they will fit.

I'll keep you posted Rob.

😉

16 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

Full disclosure: you said that your attempt in finding covers previously for your WB Greeny set was a pain in the ass. And you didn't disclose this to me until after the fact.

The WB bobbins are not typical 49.2mm classic Gib spec nor are they 50mm. They are 49.4mm which make the fit just slightly too wide with the screw poles. My 2 USA suppliers couldn't accommodate this ( send/return, send/return) so I'm now expecting some covers from the UK that have slightly looser tolerances  - hopefully they will fit.

I'll keep you posted Rob.

😉

Yes, of course. I was not complaining and meant no harm in my post, after the fact or not. 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:31 PM, RobB said:

Charlottes in the Navigator. Strong output (not, "hot"), clear and focused clean or overdriven. Nice pairing with the limba.

IMG_0836.jpeg

BTW, Josh: The foyer closet tie-rack is wondering why it's so quiet in there (hint, hint)! Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa..!*

IMG_0839.jpeg

Rob, that pyramid-faced belt looks like the mortal enemy of guitar backs. Did you hang it there just to alarm us? 😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 6:10 AM, Thundersteel said:

Question: where did the names “Shlabotnik” and “Charlotte” come from?

On 1/24/2019 at 10:38 AM, cynic said:

On 1/24/2019 at 11:51 AM, Thundersteel said:

Thanks, but I was wondering why the pickups were named those. 

Shlabotniks started life as mythical HFC creations until Josh made them a reality. Pretty f***in funny. Pickups worthy of the name.

Enola and Grace are sisters.They like to rock. Grace tries to be smooth and all, but hit her hard and she rocks as hard as her sister. Enola OTOH, makes no bones about her dirtiness. 

Yes somehow, when they get together, they can just be soooo sweet! A most excellent threesome can be had with both at once. 

Re: Schlabotnik: The back story was all @edgar_allan_poe. I came up with the name.  In fact Poe barely got the question, "What should this builder's name be?" when I replied, "Joe Schlabotnik!"

Then I had to explain to him who that was. 

Soon we were getting emails from TGP members (and a couple of HFCers) inquiring where/How to purchase pickups.  

@hikarateboy loved the scam so much that he had Mike use the name as a tribute to HFC buffoonery.  

Archived