Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Triple Threat or R9?

There are thousands of R9s out there and more are being made every year.  There are 30 Triple Threats.  Your TT is built better and has better wood, including a Brazilian rosewood fretboard and real mother of pearl markers.  The R9 has neither.

Prices on used TTs have gone from $1,700 to well over $3,000 in a few years, based on sales that I'm personally aware of.  R9 prices seem to be going in the opposite direction.  

Based solely on current cash resale values today, I think it's a fair deal if the R9 is in excellent condition, with nice wood and a good burst, case and COA.  

No way I'd do the trade, though.

If you really want a Historic Custom Shop LP, I have a near mint chambered R8 that I'd trade and add cash for your TT. 😊

All else equal, the R9 can probably be sold for more. So, if you want to cash out, that might be a good interim trade.

The real question (to me) is which YOU like better. The Triple Threat will most likely be harder to replace. There are 30 of them, vs a huge number of R9s out there.

For myself, I think the TT is (was) equal or better than the Les Pauls I have owned. As a guitar. But I understand if someone HAS TO HAVE that "singlecut" with a G on the headstock.

So, why did I just sell the last of the 3 TTs I have owned. Well, thereby hangs a tale.....For another day.

30 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Wasn't 2011 when Gibson had all those problems with their wood? Didn't someone say they were using laminated fretboards or something then?

I'm not sure there was a 100% strict delineation for 2012 on those two piece boards,

That said...  how does the R9 look?    R9 tops can range from killer to relatively

blah...        

The way it plays, the quality of the build, and all of that stuff means nothing when you're trying to sell the guitar.
R9s are money in the bank. You can turn one around at any time and get your money.
Triple Threats are worth something to Hamer fans only. No one else even knows WTF they are.

was talking to my buddy last week,  he had a les paul custom (mint) and someone wanted

to trade a Charvel Guthrie model... that certainly is a nice guitar and looking at it, you could

make an argument that it's similar in value... but it's not,  a $2500 Charvel is not the same

as a $2500 Gibson...   far fewer people willing to buy it...  he didn't take the deal and got

close to asking a few days later.      

top looks nice...  I'd probably do it if it came with all the stuff  (COA, OHSC)     

I'm not among them so I'd just ask if there a substantial group that finds that pencil-thin straight flame top LP desirable?  Completely agree with GCS generally having a better resale than Hamer, but the top figuring seems to be everything when it comes to LPs.  The top on the TT has character.  The LP?  Meh.

18 hours ago, kizanski said:

The way it plays, the quality of the build, and all of that stuff means nothing when you're trying to sell the guitar.
R9s are money in the bank. You can turn one around at any time and get your money.
Triple Threats are worth something to Hamer fans only. No one else even knows WTF they are.

100% true but a sad, sad fact.

It is a sad fact, My Hamers are way better built and sound better than my Gibson’s and Fenders and all but one of them are custom shop guitars. My neighbor is a very accomplished younger musician, did the bar rotations in Nashville and a few sessions. I’m always throwing a Hamer in his hands and he commented to me “I thought Hamer only made crappy import stuff” He know’s better now... but the import line’s definably killed Hamers reputation. 

54 minutes ago, Thundersteel said:

R9s (IMHO) are a dime a dozen.

Yet they retain their value, while Hamers don't.
The question (and the thread) is about value, not personal taste.

Archived